Northwest Normal University
The Northwest Normal University is the first normal university in northwest China. Its predecessor is the National Beiping Academy which grew out of the Normal School of Beiping Teachers University, founded in 1902. After the incident on July 7, 1937(the breakout of the War of Resistance Against Japan), the Beiping Teachers University was forced to move to Chenggu in Shaanxi Province and renamed the National Northwest Teachers College, which began its preparation for moving to Lanzhou in 1944. Before 1958, it was directly under the l eadership of the Ministry of Education. It was subordinated to the Government of Gansu Province and renamed Gansu Normal University in November 1958. The name "Northwest Normal University" was adopted in 1988.
In 1985, the Northwest Normal University set up the Northwest Ethnic Minority Teachers Training Center directly under the Ministry of Education, with the administrative system featuring "Two Plaques, One Leading Board". In 1987, Tibetan Teachers’ Training Center under the State Council was established in the University. Under the commitment of the Ministry of Education, the University has established a good number of institutes and organizations such as the Elementary Education Curriculum Reform Research Center, the Northwest Ethnic Minority Education Development Research Center, the National Key Constructing Base of Training Teachers for Vocational Education, the National Base of Training Teachers for Physical Education, the Mentors’ Training Base for the Ministry of Education, the Key Lab of Eco-Environmental Macromolecule Materials, and the NWNU Chinese Language and Culture Education Base. Still, under the commitment of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, and under the commitment of Gansu Province, 25 research institutes such as Gansu Cultural Development Institute and Gansu Educational Development Institute, as well as 4 provincial-level key labs were established. Up to now, NWNU has set up 26 colleges, 1 Independent Institute, 70 departments, 2 teaching departments, 160 teaching and research centers (institutes), and 41 labs (experimental centers).See more