Pontifical Catholic University of Peru (Pontificia Universidad Catolica Del Peru)
The Pontifical Catholic University of Peru was established in 1917 with two faculties, Letters and Jurisprudence. His first director was the RP Jorge Dintilhac SS.CC. the state officially recognized by the Supreme Resolution of March 24, 1917.
It is a national and regional academic reference in comprehensive, multi and interdisciplinary training, involved in discussing and developing solutions to national problems on education, social development and sustainability.
The University began activities in 1917 with two schools: Letters and Laws. In 1933, when the university had more than 500 students, the Schools of Engineering, and Political and Economical Sciences were established. In 1935, the School of Education was created. Later, in 1939, the Academy of Catholic Art was founded, with Adolf Winternitz as its director; the university is still one of only a small number to offer an arts major in Perú.
During the 1960s, Gustavo Gutiérrez O.P., a Peruvian priest and an instructor at the university, developed the first principles of "Liberation Theology", promoting Marxist socialism and pan-Latin American solidarity.
The university claims Catholic affiliation, but is not recognized by the Catholic Church. There are currently 16,000 undergraduate students pursuing 38 different specialties in 10 schools. Its main campus is located in the Lima district of San Miguel, with the newly built Mac Gregor complex.
Outside the main campus there are other facilities such as the IC (Idiomas Católica), a language-learning center, the Confucius Institute PUCP, the cultural center (CCPUCP) located in the district of San Isidro. CENTRUM, a center for business studies featuring doctoral level and MBA programs and located in the district of Santiago de Surco, is also part of PUCP. Inside, there is a Pastoral Counseling Center (CAPU).