Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives.
They work with local people affected by conflict to improve their safety and sense of security, and conduct wider research and analysis. They use this evidence and learning to improve local, national and international policies and practices that can help build lasting peace. Their priority is people – they believe that everyone should be able to lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from insecurity and violent conflict.
They are a not-for-profit organisation with programmes in nearly 20 countries and territories across Africa, Asia and Europe. They receive funding from a range of donors including governments, the European Commission, trusts and individuals.
Saferworld believes in a world where everyone can lead peaceful, fulfilling lives, free from fear and insecurity.
They work to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. They believe there are essential conditions necessary for peace to become established. They work to create environments where:
- people play an active role in preventing and transforming conflict and building peace
- people have access to fair and effective paths to address the grievances and inequalities that drive conflict
- people with influence exercise power to promote just and equitable societies
These are not the only conditions needed to bring about peace, but they believe they are particularly important and that Saferworld, with its partners, can help achieve them.
Their integrity as an organisation is derived from the values and principles that underpin and guide their own work and the work of those they build relationships with. They believe:
- in the worth, equality and dignity of every person, and respect the richness of social and cultural diversity
- inclusivity and accountability are essential in society if people are to enjoy security, justice and peaceful coexistence
- their actions must show honesty, transparency and consistency with their principles and the mission they profess