Solidarites International is a humanitarian organisation which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For 30 years the association has concentrated its action on meeting three vital needs - water, food and shelter.
They are particularly committed to fighting water-borne diseases - the most frequent cause of death worldwide. Their programs and expertise focus on providing access to drinking water and sanitation as well as the essential fields of food security and reconstruction.
Whilst fully respecting the assisted populations' customs and culture, Solidarites International ‘s programmes are implemented by 152 expatriate volunteers and around 1800 local managers and staff (2009 figures).
According to its statutes as a charitable organisation under the 1901 law, Solidarites International holds an Annual General Meeting once a year and has a Board of Directors and a Steering Committee. The charity is run by its Founder and Managing Director, Alain Boinet.
Where They Work
Solidarites International is currently present in 15 countries : Haiti, Sudan (South Sudan), DR Congo (Ituri - North Kivu - Katanga), Tchad, Central African Republic, Kenya, Somalia, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Myanmar (Burma), Thailand (with Karen refugees of Burmese origin), Bangladesh.
Solidarites International has previously provided humanitarian aid in Albania, Angola, Bosnia, Burundi, Iraq, Kosovo, Lebanon, Macedonia, Niger, Romania, Rwanda, Serbia and Sudan (Darfur).
Solidarites International carries out its humanitarian programmes in emergency situations when tens or hundreds of thousands of human beings are under serious threat from hunger, thirst, cold, disease, injury and neglect.
At first, their action consists in providing emergency relief to the endangered populations. As soon as conditions permit, they continue their action with projects enabling the reconstruction of infrastructures. Then, if necessary, they carry out projects to revitalise agriculture or fishing, and other food security activities, in order to accompany affected populations on road back to autonomy and self-sufficiency.
Their expertise in the field of access to drinking water and sanitation is at the forefront of their combat against water-borne diseases, the most frequent cause of death worldwide.
WATER AND SANITATION
- Capturing, drilling and fitting out springs and wells
- Purifying, transporting and distributing drinking water
- Building and rehabilitating water treatment plants and water supply networks
- Building and rehabilitating water works (irrigation canals, reservoirs, dams…)
- Building and rehabilitating latrines, washing areas…
- Training regarding hygiene
- Distributing emergency food aid
- Distributing seeds, fruit trees, animals and agricultural tools
- Providing technical and veterinary support for animal breeding activities
- Implementing sustainable agricultural activities
- Diversifying agricultural production
- Supporting agricultural groups
- Supporting the revitalisation of fishing and fish farming
- Building or rehabilitating shelters, houses, schools, healthcare centres, roads, bridges…
Where is Solidarites International (SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL)