The Freedom Fund
The Freedom Fund is the world’s first private philanthropic initiative dedicated to identifying and investing in the most effective frontline efforts to end slavery.The Freedom Fund is a leader in the global movement to end modern slavery.
They identify and invest in the most effective frontline efforts to eradicate modern slavery in the countries and sectors where it is most prevalent. Partnering with visionary investors, governments, anti-slavery organisations and those at risk of exploitation, they tackle the systems that allow slavery to persist and thrive. Working together, they protect vulnerable populations, liberate and reintegrate those enslaved and prosecute those responsible.
The Freedom Fund was founded by three founding investors; Humanity United, the Legatum Foundation and the Minderoo Foundation.
The root causes of global modern slavery are complex, but evidence shows that it can be tackled effectively. Just as abolitionist coalitions forced the end of the Atlantic slave trade in the 19th century, courage and commitment can end modern slavery today. In recent years, the collective efforts of governments, companies and consumers have dramatically reduced child labour in cocoa plantations in West Africa. Tough coordinated action by the authorities, both in Asian countries where the abuse takes place and in Europe and North America where the offenders live, is helping counter child sex tourism. In India, the home to over half of the world’s modern slaves, targeted grass-roots programs are helping lift this shadow from lives and communities. The Freedom Fund has developed an independent and global approach to bring together knowledge and capital to deliver results.
- They bring a global perspective, to match the scale of the problem with vision and resources.
- They invest in best-of-class anti-slavery interventions, scaling those that succeed.
- They share their knowledge, to encourage best practice and greater collaboration in the sector.
- They measure impact, to improve their investment strategy over time.
- They align diverse disciplines, to develop more effective approaches to end slavery.
Their vision is a world free of slavery.
Their mission is to mobilise the knowledge, capital and will needed to end slavery.
- They generate private funding by demonstrating how effective interventions can protect those at risk of being enslaved and free those in slavery.
- They invest in those countries and sectors with the greatest incidence of slavery.
- They analyse which interventions work best, and they share that knowledge.
- They bring together a community of activists committed to ending slavery and empowered by the knowledge of how best to do so.