politehnica University of Bucharest (Romanian: Universitatea Politehnica din București) is a technical university in Bucharest, Romania. It was founded in 1864, as School of Bridges and Roads, Mines and Architecture (based on the older technical school of Gheorghe Lazăr, from 1818), and it was renamed Polytechnic School in 1920. Politehnica University is classified by the Ministry of Education as an advanced research and education university. The University is a member of the Romanian Alliance of Technical Universities (ARUT).
Politehnica University of Bucharest is the largest technical university in Romania. Its traditions are connected to the founding of the first higher technical school in Wallachia, in 1818, by Gheorghe Lazăr. Born in Avrig, Transylvania, Gheorghe Lazăr studied in Sibiu, Clujand Vienna. In 1817–1818 he endeavored to convince the local noblemen of the need for supporting a modern technical school in Romania.
Thus, on 24 March 1818, by a princely edict of Ioan Caragea, the premises of Saint Sava Abbey were converted into the new school, Școala Tehnică Superioară pentru Ingineri Hotarnici ("The Upper School for Surveying Engineers").
Later, in 1832 the school was reorganised, including four cycles, in accordance with the provisions of Organic Regulation. Among other faculties, the one dealing with exact sciences included courses such as applied trigonometry, geodesy, mineralogy, engineering graphics, descriptive geometry, mechanical elements applied to ordinary machines, principles of building roads and bridges, elements of architecture, etc. The graduates were obliged either to work for three years for the state, or to return the grant received. In 1862, the ruler of the United Principalities, Alexandru Ioan Cuza, had established by another Princely Decree a set of rules for the organisation of civil engineers, the hierarchy of engineers or conductors, their salaries, the conditions for admission and promotion, were clearly defined.