Workers' Educational Association - WEA
Founded in 1903, the Workers' Educational Association (WEA) is a charity and the UK’s largest voluntary sector provider of adult education. In 2014/15 we delivered 9,700 part-time courses for over 70,000 students in England and Scotland with classes in almost every local authority area and our work in England was assessed in 2014 as ‘Good’ by Ofsted.
With the support of nearly 400 local branches, 3,000 volunteers, 2,000 part-time tutors and our active membership, the WEA provides high quality, student-centred and tutor-led education for adults from all walks of life. We bring education into the heart of communities, helping people learn whatever they want – from maths, English and skills for employment, through health and wellbeing courses, to cultural studies that help students broaden their horizons and community engagement programmes that encourage active citizenship.
“A better world - equal, democratic and just; through adult education the WEA challenges and inspires individuals, communities and society”
• -Raising educational aspirations
• -Bringing great teaching and learning to local communities
• -Ensuring there is always an opportunity for adults to return to learning
• -Developing educational opportunities for the most disadvantaged
• -Involving students and supporters as members to build an education movement for social purpose
• -Inspiring students, teachers and members to become active citizens
• -OpenSee more