October 2017 to date: Adviser Sanitation Hygiene and Nutrition.
November 2015 to Sept 2017: Programme Adviser Nutrition, WASH and Agriculture -USAID/DAI KIWASH Project;
January 2006 to Oct 2015: Programme Policy Officer Nutrition/WASH/HIV/School Meals Programme;
January 1999 to Jan 2006: Senior Programme Officer School Health and Nutrition & School Feeding;
May 1989 to Dec 1998: Lecturer/Graduate Teacher with Ministry of Education, Science & Technology.
As seasoned and resourceful nutritionist and public health practitioner, I have a career spanning over 20 years integrating public health, food security, WASH and agriculture initiatives. Over the years, I have excelled in designing and overseeing interventions on nutrition, WASH, education and agriculture programming in addition to ensuring the most recent scientific knowledge is combined with field based strategies to identify and bring to scale successful models for integrated WASH and nutrition activities. I have also excelled in providing strategic direction to the implementation of improved health and nutrition of children and mothers at community and household level. In summary some of the roles I have handled in program management involve; programming of nutrition specific and nutrition sensitive activities, food assistance for HIV, School Meals and Food For assets and pipeline management, building strategic partnerships with multiple partners and management of National Nutrition Programmes for people living with HIV. Additionally, I am also knowledgeable on UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration having worked with UN bodies for ten (10) years. Moreover, I offer demonstrated experience in policy and strategy formulation at the national and regional levels to address malnutrition and Agri-nutrition through integrated, multi-sectoral approaches to incorporate hygiene and sanitation. I am now seeking an opportunity as a program manager or director that will grant me the avenue to offer my skills in Programme Management and Strategic Development with a view to transform the quality of programme implementation.
1. Designed and currently integrating Nutrition, Sanitation, Hygiene and Agriculture into a Water Sector Programme in 9 Counties across the Country using the Multiple Use Service Approach to programming;
2. Designed and led interventions to integrate new models of service delivery into the traditional school feeding methodologies, including expanding school-based nutrition programming to expand outreach to parents/caregivers, integrating WASH and nutrition/health themes into educational and BCC materials, and developed targeted messaging around dietary diversification for mothers/caregivers to improve health outcomes;
3. Participated in the design and implementation of two WFP Country Programme documents;
4. Piloted and implemented models of excellence activities in 20 schools across two counties (Turkana and Garissa) to construct water and sanitation infrastructure (toilets, hand-washing stations, and improved kitchen and food storage facilities), construct kitchen gardens and establish agricultural clubs, and develop health and nutrition messaging campaigns;
5. Implemented a Micronutrient Powder project in 6 schools in Nairobi, Garissa and Turkana Counties which informed the development of the draft School MNP Policy and Implementation guidelines;
6. Through the World Food Programme's HIV/AIDS and nutrition Programme, scaled up the pilot project for 27,000 beneficiaries that tested new strategies to integrate nutrition service delivery and education within healthcare (clinic) settings, which was demonstrated to have quantifiably positive impact and has been replicated across 10 counties with the highest infection rates in the country (including the Western, North Rift , Nyanza Coast, and Nairobi) and expanded to provide services to 90,000 beneficiaries;
7. Led both quantitative and qualitative studies to field test, validate, and ultimate scale up tested approaches and linkage models for nutrition and health interventions to maximize opportunities for services for the community at policy, strategy, and Programme levels through a National survey that looked at " Nutrition and Treatment Profile of HIV Clients and Gap Analysis in Comprehensive Care Clinics in Kenya";
8. Led the design for nutrition messaging campaigns utilizing cartoons, radio and song/theater on topics, including health and hygiene, hand washing, dietary diversity, agriculture, and water resource technologies, based on field research within targeted communities in Kenya. This resulted in a BCC strategy in partnership with Unilever to provide nutrition and hygiene (hand washing, safe toileting) messages to improve health outcomes;
9. Led the process of developing the School Health and Hygiene materials that were piloted in Samburu County and have since been adopted by the Ministries of Health and Education as part of the national School WASH materials;
10. Coordinated revision of the Kenyan National Guidelines on Nutrition and HIV;
11. Implemented the HIV/AIDS project from a pilot (27,000 beneficiaries) in one district to a fully-fledged Programme (70,000 people) in over 30 districts (now counties);
12. Participated in several national- and county-level stakeholder meetings, liaising extensively with the Ministries of Agriculture; Education; Environment, Water, and Natural Resources; and Gender to strengthen implementation outcomes for nutrition, agriculture, and WASH in the communities and sector institutions including the Ending Drought in Emergencies Strategy, and development of two Kenya National AIDS Strategic Plans;
13. Organized and coordinated national- and county-level stakeholder meetings to provide inputs to strengthen nutrition education and agriculture in the national school curriculum, has coordinated revision of the Kenyan national Guidelines on Nutrition and HIV, and has been involved in the drafting and implementation of two Kenya National AIDS strategic plans, which included large policy components on nutrition service delivery;
14. Coordinated establishment of three Roadside Wellness Centers to address HIV/AIDS issues for the Transport Sector stakeholders along the Northern Corridor.