ABA ROLI seeks candidates to fill one (1) China Program Manager position based in Hong Kong, China, with travel within the country. The Program Manager (PM) will work with the Program Director in the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of ABA ROLI’s rule of law programs in China, including developing grant proposals, ensuring compliance with donor requirements such as producing quarterly and final program reports, participating in and providing technical assistance to program activities conducted by program partners, and maintaining a cooperative working relationship with program partners,. Our programming approaches include capacity building, pilot projects, and practical research to support policy reform. Competitive candidates will have a background in Chinese public policy and/or the Chinese legal system, experience working on international assistance programs in China, or have substantive experience in the program area of LGBT rights.
- Manages the day-to-day organization, implementation, and evaluation of one or more programs or projects, including designing and planning projects, managing sub-grants and budgets, and ensuring compliance with ABA policies.
- Advises China Program Director and ROLI leadership on strategy and procedures, including analysis of opportunities and risks, to ensure projects move forward in a productive manner.
- Serves as principal point of contact for projects, both internally and externally. Initiates regular communications with the Program Director, D.C.-based staff, and program partners, including reporting on progress and results.
- Coordinates with other interested entities on joint projects, proactively seeking both internal and external partners.
- Supervises one or more staff members, directly or indirectly, as appropriate to the project. Responsibilities may include recruitment, orientation, ongoing mentoring and annual performance evaluations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university (or equivalent experience)
- Management and/or supervisory experience, preferably in an association or non-profit setting to include analytical problem solving ability, and programmatic and policy development
- Some research and writing skills, substantive budgeting experience
- Meeting planning experience a must
- Familiarity with the Chinese legal system, as well as the current political, economic, administrative, and socio-cultural context in China.
- Fundraising or proposal development experience.
- Rule of law expertise in one or more of the following areas: LGBT rights, criminal justice, environmental protection, legal professional education, women’s rights, capacity building, public participation, and access to justice.
- Experience working for an association, NGO, or other not-for-profit entity.
- Experience in implementing grant-funded development projects.
- Self-direction, project experience, substantive budgeting experience, and research and writing skills.
- Fluency in English and proficiency in both written and spoken standard Chinese (Mandarin).
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.
About the Organization
ABA ROLI is a non-profit organization that implements legal reform programs in roughly 60 countries around the world. ABA ROLI has nearly 700 professional staff working abroad and in its Washington, D.C. office. ABA ROLI’s host country partners include judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice and a wide array of civil society organizations, including human rights groups.