The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) continues to be at the forefront of the U.S. Government (USG) response in the fight against HIV and AIDS. USAID is a key partner in the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and works closely with other USG agencies on this initiative.
In support of these efforts and the PEPFAR goal to end the HIV epidemic, the Adult Clinical Branch, within the Bureau for Global Health’s Office of HIV/AIDS, Prevention, Care and Treatment Division (GH/OHA/PCT/ACB), requires an Advisor for Multi-month Dispensing (MMD) who will support USAID’s development, monitoring and implementation of MMD and provide strategic and technical leadership on supply chain issues to ensure reliable supply from the national to the individual site and patient level of essential drugs for people affected by HIV and AIDS and related infections. This position requires an extensive knowledge of antiretroviral therapy (ART) management, service delivery approaches in low- and middle-income settings, supply chain management, and appropriate monitoring strategies to foster life-long virologic suppression and the prevention of HIV drug resistance.
The MMD Advisor will assist in the design and implementation of USAID and PEPFAR-supported HIV prevention, care and treatment programs, with a focus on clinical services, including MMD.. The MMD Advisor analyzes data, reports and other information on ART delivery internationally and reviews relevant data and policies to inform USAID-supported programming and service delivery. A primary focus area is high-quality differentiated service delivery approaches for patient-centered, efficient ART programs, including promoting broad uptake of providing 3-6 month supplies of ARVs to stable patients across all subpopulations in order to foster life-long adherence and virologic suppression, client satisfaction and health system efficiencies.
S/he will serve as a subject matter expert, providing coordination and advice in the delivery of ART program services, The MMD Advisor will support PEPFAR’s goal of eliminating HIV by 2020 and supporting the field to implement high-quality and high-performing ART services. The Chief of the Adult Clinical Branch (ACB) will be the USAID point of contact, and the Advisor will work closely with the ACB, PMB and SCH branches.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Senior Advisor will perform the following major duties at the levels described below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Provide Global Technical Leadership on Multi-month Dispensing:
- Serve as a technical subject matter expert on Multi-month dispensing, working in close collaboration with members of ACB, the Prevention, Care and Treatment and Supply Chain for Health Divisions and across OHA and the GH Bureau;
- Perform routine analysis to improve supply chain operations support of MMD implementation;
- Assess global vendors to ensure cost, quality, delivery, technical, and service capabilities, including promotion of products and packaging that facilitate dispensing of larger ARV quantities to clients;
- Identify and resolve supply chain issues;
- Assess local providers who can add value to the existing public health supply chains;
- Liaise with Global Fund and other donors to coordinate global supply planning;
- Research market trends related to assigned commodities to predict cost changes;
- Provide technical leadership to support Contracting/Agreement Officer’s Representatives (CORs/AORs) and activity managers of USAID grants and contracts and selected centrally funded initiatives for strengthening MMD;
- Seek out innovative opportunities to advance the intellectual discourse relating to ART therapy in general and logistical management of ART and related drugs specifically, including novel approaches for external ARV pick-up points and MMD delivery through partnerships with commercial pharmacies and other private sector partners; and
- Maintain knowledge of current public health, scientific, social science, and medical literature related to ART and HIV prevention, care and treatment;
- Provide leadership for USAID’s quality assurance services for ART, including supporting regular external quality assurance (EQA) and Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) activities;
- Coordinate and promote regular technical support of ART staff and sites to improve overall safety and quality of programs.
Monitoring and Evaluation of PEPFAR Programs:
- Orient and guide field-based staff, including Implementing Partners ( IPs )and overseas Mission staff on latest Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting Indicator Reference Guide (MER) indicators from the MER reference guidance;
- Provide support to ensure efficient use of program resources that monitor implementation and achievement of program targets;
- Support field teams to prepare for quarterly report review, Country Operational Plans (COPs) and other planning activities pertaining to program performance;
- Familiarize, train and support regular data requests using PEPFAR’s/OHA’s current or future data platforms, etc.
Provide Technical Assistance and Programmatic Advice to USAID field Missions and Country Programs on ART and Supply Chain best practices:
- Provide expert advice to country-level ART and MMD strategic planning processes, including as appropriate at a high level with partner-country governments and PEPFAR country teams;
- Provide ongoing programmatic training and consultation in all aspects of planning for ART and MMD programming, including development of programs, ensuring that research and evidence-based results are appropriately applied in field programs, and advancing monitoring, evaluation, and implementation research;
- Provide technical assistance for developing processes at service delivery level for systematic MMD eligibility assessment of clients and for systematic enrollment of all eligible clients to optimize MMD access and coverage in treatment programs.
- Assess quality and safety of ART and MMD programs and recommend improvements for drug delivery in the field;
- Provide technical assistance for ART and MMD interventions within the broader continuum of HIV prevention, care, and treatment;
- Facilitate sharing of best practices across USG programs in diverse countries; and
- Support countries in program monitoring and evaluation, to ensure program investments reflect the efficient use of funds and are synergistic with other investments made by the USG and partner agencies.
- Master’s degree and 7+ years of relevant experience; OR
- Bachelor’s degree and 9+ years of relevant experience; OR
- Equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Medical/DO degree and/or master’s degree or higher in public health, pharmacy, nursing or related field highly preferred;
- HIV background and expertise, with specific focus on HIV treatment and program management;
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with HIV treatment programs in PEPFAR-supported countries;
- Demonstrated experience in designing, managing, monitoring, and/or evaluating HIV programs in low and middle income contexts;
- Minimum five years’ experience in HIV and AIDS programs with at least three years’ in low and middle income country settings;
- Demonstrated innovative thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation and team building skills, and ability to work across agencies and cross-culturally with diverse teams;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally (25-35% of the time); and
- Applicants selected will be subject to a background investigation and must obtain and maintain a favorable adjudication as applicable to their position/duties.
About the Organization
Social Solutions International, Inc. (Social Solutions) is a Hispanic and woman-owned business emphasizing quality research and evaluation, training and technical assistance, and institutional support services. We are a mission-driven organization that believes that superior science can improve the world. Social Solutions is dedicated to the creation of social and health solutions to improve the welfare of underserved populations worldwide.
Social Solutions offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. Please submit your resume online at https://jobs-socialsolutions.icims.com/jobs/1433/advisor-for-multi-month-dispensing-%28mmd%29/job?mode=view
In order to fully evaluate your eligibility, your resume must include relevant paid and non-paid experience showing dates held with month and year and hours worked per week for each position.
Social Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.