The Bangladesh project manager will provide leadership to a large, private-sector oriented aquaculture project that is intended toidentify, incubate and deploy at scale innovations with communities and private sector partners that increase productivity, income, nutrition and women’s empowerment for smallholder fish farmers in Bangladesh.
S/he will take the lead for project implementation through its lifecycle, including leading a Bangladesh country team in planning, implementing and reporting throughout. The Project Leader will also be responsible for leading implementation of private sector engagement strategy in Bangladesh, working closely with for-profit partners and investors to identify and start up innvovative business models and financing that achieve the project goals for sustainable aquaculture growth, while delivering positive impacts at scale for smallholders within Bangladesh.
The position will be based out of Dhaka, Bangladesh, and will involve travel throughout the region, occasionally to the headquarters offices of WorldFish in Penang.
Specific Duties Include:
In close coordination with the Project Leader (Penang) and the Country Director (Bangladesh), the Bangladesh Project Manager will:
- Provide leadership in analyzing aquaculture market systems and value chains, identifying interventions and partnerships with private sector businesses and investors that can deliver improvements at scale within the fish market system at scale.
- Serve as a leader, facilitator, and supporter of a private sector-oriented team in WorldFish and partners that can work with stakeholders to deliver effectively on the project objectives, supporting identification of innovations, enabling business plans and supporting start-up.
- Identify key influencers and partners in the aquaculture value chain and fish food system, from producers to consumers, while building and maintaining strong collaboration for new innovations that support rural fish farmers, value chain actors and consumers.
- Ensure coordination and communications about the aquaculture project in Bangladesh, liaising with local partners, government agencies and other national and international institutions.
- Develop activity-level work plans and budgets as well as ensure that an effective monitoring, evaluation and learning system is established, monitoring the organization’s progress against the project objectives and milestones, using this feedback for project implementation and improvement.
- Provide leadership and oversee day-to-day management and implementation of project activities, as well as timely delivery of project outputs and outcomes in country.
- Prepare progress reports, annual reports, project deliverables, and presentations of activities, results, impacts and outcomes of the research interventions for the donor, WorldFish and for relevant meetings, which may include professional, donor, and partner meetings.
- Represent WorldFish at external meetings and consultations as directed by project leaders and ensure that the project’s objectives and outputs are communicated appropriately.
- 5 years or more of post-graduate professional experience in aquaculture, agri-business and/or rural development, of which a significant part of the career has been spent working within or closely with private sector.
- Demonstrated experience in identification and deployment of business innovations and start ups in rural communities, with an entrepreunerial and impact-oriented vision and drive to deliver social change.
- Experience in project management and team leadership, including mentoring, project activity planning, budget planning, and technical as well as financial reporting.
- A knowledge of aquaculture and/or fisheries in South Asia, with a solid understanding of the business environment, innovative finance, and rural livelihoods.
- Experience with digital approaches to data collection, extension and maketing in rural communities would be considered a strong plus.
- Field experience in mobilizing leaders and innovators across business and government in order to achieve social change and development goals.
- Ability to engage with and mobilize for impact a diverse range of partners in the private sector, within civil society, government and local communities.
- An understanding of small and medium sized enterprises, agri-business and business planning, along with the ability to mobilize private sector partners.
- Excellent communication skills are required, along with a strong command of high quality English communications, including writing and reporting, speaking, and presentations.
We are seeking candidates who come with significant private sector experience of start-ups and entrepreneurship and who could lead a dynamic private sector oriented team to identify and support new businesses and open new markets for smallholder aquaculture farmers in Bangladesh. If you are interested in this role or can provide suggested contacts for CTI on this search, please contact CTI at the email and phone number provided below. Our search is not confidential and this document may be redistributed.
Dave Jensen, Founder and CEO
CareerTrax Inc. (www.careertrax.com)
(928) 282-5366 Office
(928) 274-2266 Cell (Preferred)
Skype at: daveproactive
Ryan Raver, PhD Managing Director
(928) 282‐5366 Office
(507) 272-2846 Cell (Preferred)
About the Organization
WorldFish is an international, nonprofit research organization that harnesses the potential of fisheries and aquaculture to strengthen livelihoods and improve food and nutrition security. Globally, more than 1 billion people obtain most of their animal protein from fish and 800 million depend on fisheries and aquaculture for their livelihoods. WorldFish is a member of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food-secure future.