Counterpart International is seeking a Business Development Manager to manage the capture and proposal development life-cycle for high-priority proposals. S/he will serve as point person for priority bids and is responsible for the submission of high-quality winning proposals. This position will also have responsibility to mentor, coach, or be shadowed by Counterpart staff within and outside the New Business Development (NBD) team. This position will serve as a role model for best practice in proposal development, from pre-solicitation through proposal development and submission.
- Proposal Development: Engages with NBD, Programs, technical staff, and other departments in a portfolio of proposal development efforts. Troubleshoots common challenges and proposes solutions, elevating complex problems to senior management with ideas for improvement. Ensures adherence to assignments, schedules, and Counterpart’s policies and procedures. Moves from one assignment to another over time according to the ebb and flow of opportunities and the current portfolio of proposals under development.
- Information-Gathering/Capture: Conducts research and participates in reconnaissance/capture trips to gather technical, financial, and operational information, interview and recruit potential project staff, and market Counterpart to prospective donors and partner organizations.
- Proposal Writing, Recruiting, and Budgeting: For any specific proposal effort, ensure that all of the pieces come together in a coherent, compliant, and winning manner. Defines internal staff and external consultant needs for that proposal and guides the drafting of proposal sections. Reviews and revises proposal narrative. Works closely with the proposal Cost and Pricing Lead to ensure technical, programmatic, and partnering plans are appropriately captured in the proposal budget.
- Pipeline and Partnership Development: Cultivate relationships with organizations and individuals in support of pipeline development and the verification of specific new business opportunities.
- Strategic Program Support: Provide surge capacity support to existing programs, including but not limited to start-up and close-out activities, re-design and remediation of programs, and training and mentorship of client engagement. Promote the cross-fertilization of programs and NBD.
- Bachelor’s degree in international development or similar field required.
- Minimum of 6 years of experience working in international development (preferably within new business development teams as it relates to USAID proposals)
- Minimum of four years of experience serving as a Proposal Manager on USAID funded procurement.
- Ability to conceptualize project interventions and write sections of the proposal, including, but not limited to: the executive summary; win themes; management plan and personnel sections; as well as other relevant annexes.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning based on a wide range of experience and training to solve moderately complex international development challenges.
- Willingness to travel and work abroad a minimum of four weeks per year.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
- Experience developing proposals in the social accountability and social inclusion space.
About the OrganizationCounterpart International works to give people a voice in their own future through smart partnerships offering options and access to tools for sustained social, economic and environmental development. Counterpart's multi-sectoral capacity and experience offers beneficiaries direct access to in-house know-how in civil society and economic development, environmental resource management, health and social services, food security, sustainable agriculture and humanitarian aid. Counterpart currently manages a U.S. government-funded portfolio of $17 million and an annual distributions of $100 million in donated commodities, which supports community development activities in nearly 25 countries.
More Jobs from this Organization