Call for Experts (staff and consultants) in Pharmaceutical Quality, Manufacturing Services and Diagnostic Laboratory
The U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention (USP) is a scientific nonprofit organization that sets standards for the identity, strength, quality, and purity of medicines, food ingredients, and dietary supplements manufactured, distributed and consumed worldwide. USP’s drug standards are enforceable in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration, and these standards are used in more than 140 countries.
USP, through its global public health programs, strengthens health systems by providing technical assistance that improves access to quality medicines, protects patients and consumers from poor quality products, and supports workforce development. USP supports lower and middle income countries (LMICs) in strengthening regulatory systems, designing sustainable approaches to eliminate substandard and falsified medicines, building the capacity of manufacturers to increase the supply of quality medicines, and increasing collaboration and advocacy for quality through research and innovation.
USP seeks candidates for anticipated global work on opportunities funded by various bilateral and multilateral entities, including but not limited to the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), World Health Organization (WHO), World Bank, The Global Fund, and others. Candidates with experience in one or more of the following areas are encouraged to apply.
Examples of key knowledge areas include:
- Pharmaceutical markets, particularly as they relate to access to essential medicines and other medical products in LMICs
- Quality assurance/control disciplines related to health commodities, particularly pharmaceuticals
- International regulatory requirements for health commodities with a focus on capacity building in LMICs
- Health systems strengthening, especially relating to regulatory systems; knowledge of/experience in both public and private sector strengthening highly preferred
- Diagnostic laboratory strengthening
- GMP towards WHO prequalification
- Experience implementing programs in quality assurance and control and/or pharmaceutical services or providing targeted technical assistance to manufacturers or diagnostic laboratories
- Experience with USAID or other US government-funded programs, particularly pertaining to global health and more specifically the pharmaceutical and/or diagnostic lab sector
- Advanced degree in international development, medicine, public health, or a science-related field required
- Ability to travel, both domestically and internationally, with potentially significant frequency and/or duration, and to LMICs
- Ability to establish and nurture relationships and interact with people at different levels and cultures
- Proficiency in other languages is an asset
Interested candidates should submit CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Selected candidates will be contacted and kept on file as part of a roster of experts for a period of 2 years.
About the Organization
The United States Pharmacopeial (USP) Convention is a non-governmental, nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve global health through public standards and related programs that help ensure the quality, safety, and benefit of medicines and foods.