The International City/County Management Association (ICMA) is seeking a Capacity Development and Governance Manager for the Philippines to support the Clean Cities Blue Ocean (CCBO) program.
Based in Manila, Philippines
Short-Term Engagement /up to 200 days
CCBO activity is a five-year, $48 million USAID-funded initiative which will serve as USAID’s flagship program to target ocean plastics directly at their source in cities and towns. The project works to prevent ocean plastic pollution by building capacity and commitment for Reducing, Reusing, and Recycling (3Rs) and solid waste management (SWM) systems in urban and peri-urban settings, particularly in riverine and coastal areas. CCBO works with multiple USAID missions on country-specific implementation of national and local activities, and with USAID/Washington on global-level activities. The geographic focus of this 5-year program is on Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Sri Lanka/The Maldives, India, Dominican Republic, and Peru.
The Capacity Development and Governance Manager (Manager-PH)-Philippines will have a leadership role in creating measurable reductions in ocean plastics from the following locations in the Philippines: Pasig City, Las Piñas City, Batangas Province and Iloilo Province by supporting activities which increase capacity and effective governance of 3Rs/SWM systems.
Under the direction and guidance of the CCBO Capacity Development and Governance Director (based in Washington, DC), the Manager will lead relevant activities in Pasig City to improve existing local solid waste management and recycling systems through increased cooperation among local governments and stakeholders and the implementation of laws, policies, regulations. Additionally, the Manager will oversee and guide the activities of CCBO Capacity Development and Governance Coordinators in the Provinces of Iloilo and Batangas and City of Las Piñas.
In this role, the Manager will be based in the CCBO main Philippines Office in the Manila Metro Area (TBD) and ensure that locally generated ideas for improving SWM and recycling systems are relayed to and discussed by the full CCBO Team and options for solutions are communicated back to stakeholders in the cities.
What you will do:
As the Manager-PH you will:
- Support the Home Office-Based Capacity Development and Governance Director (Director) in planning, implementing, and monitoring all technical assistance and activities with the objective of reducing plastics in the engagement sites in the Philippines
- Provide regular and accurate reporting to the Director
- Support, or provide oversight, for mapping of public, private sector and civil society actors in the four municipalities.
- Help create a working group of Local Government Unit (LGU) SWM stakeholders to coordinate CCBO activities in Pasig City. Throughout the program implementation, continue to work with the group to build its relationship with CCBO through on-the-ground coordination meetings, ad-hoc workshops and learning events
- Provide guidance to local government officials/staff to identify innovative service delivery models for improved efficiency, transparency, and monitoring of SWM and recycling systems
- Contribute to overall program monitoring, evaluation, and assessments - including a gap analysis of 3R/SWM Laws and Policies - and participate in stakeholder sessions to present and validate findings
- Coordinate with local stakeholders for data gathering and then help to conduct an assessment by applying CCBO’s Global SWM Municipal Capacity Assessment
- Assist in introducing CCBO’s Global Key Indicators of Local Government Financial Management and Transparency
- Coordinate with local stakeholders, or provide oversight, for data gathering and then help to conduct a municipal –level assessment of enforcement practices
- Help to draft or provide oversight to country specific strategy documents
- Provide oversight and guidance for the CCBO grantees within Pasig
- Coordinate and assist in the development of materials and support logistics for program workshops/events
- Support Social and Behavioral Change-related activities
- Support public private partnership activities
- Consider the role of informal waste collectors and potential impacts on vulnerable populations.
- Provide regular and accurate reporting to the Director
- Coordinate with other USAID projects operating in the city
- Undertake any other necessary tasks that the Director may assign
- Support the CCBO Country Manager, as needed
- Help to prepare technical reports, as needed
- Maintain the highest standard of integrity and ensure compliance with all project procedures and processes, with ICMA policies, and with USAID contract requirements
What you will need to be successful in this role:
- Master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in a discipline related to government, environmental science, management/administration, city planning, international development or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least 5 years of municipal solid waste management experience, including assessments, design, planning, operations/management, and financing of 3Rs/SWM systems and collaboration with community-based actors.
- At least 3 years of experience in leadership/advisory positions.
· Proven communication, conflict resolution, facilitation and decision-making skills.
- Flexible approach for working individually as well as in a dynamic environment with multiple stakeholders.
- Fluent in English.
- Work in Pasig City with ability to travel to the provinces of Iloilo and Batangas and Las Piñas City for conducting project activities.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you believe you are the candidate we are looking for, please email your cover letter (indicating in the subject line Capacity Development and Governance Manager-Philippines) and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to firstname.lastname@example.org
CLOSING DATE: July 10, 2020 Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.