Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the anticipated USAID/Afghanistan Power Sector Governance (PSG) Activity. The overall objective of PSG is to support the Government of Afghanistan (GOA) in enhancing the performance of the power sector and the operational capacity and transparency of the national electric utility, Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS). The focus of the Activity’s technical assistance will be on promoting effective governance practices in the power sector and within DABS to improve technical and operational oversight and management of critical power sector functions and enhance the commercial performance of DABS. The project will be based in Kabul, Afghanistan with potential domestic travel within Afghanistan and international travel in the region. We are seeking individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall leadership, program direction, and technical expertise
- Oversee all contractual and budgetary aspects of program management
- Professionally represent Chemonics to USAID, the Government of Afghanistan, Afghani counterparts, and other program stakeholders
- Serve as the primary point of contact with USAID on daily implementation and contract management
- Ensure that the work plan, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting efforts are aligned with contract requirements, program objectives, and USAID guidance; ensure the quality of deliverables and reports
- Monitor and, where necessary, modify program assistance to achieve results; ensure that relevant, productive, and complementary activities are implemented effectively
- Lead a diverse team of international and local experts to achieve program targets, produce deliverables, and nurture partnerships with key stakeholders, government counterparts, and other donors
- Bachelor’s degree in energy policy, international development, business, finance, economics, public administration, or a related field required. Advanced degree preferred
- Previous experience as a chief of party, preferably for a USAID-funded project, is preferred
- Minimum of five years of experience leading international power sector/energy programs
- Demonstrated experience working on human and institutional capacity development and organizational capacity assessment projects
- Experience promoting effective governance practices within utility sectors, with a strong preference for power sector experience
- Experience serving as a liaison to government officials, donor organizations, and stakeholders and counterparts
- Proven leadership ability, strategic vision, and experience managing large teams in culturally diverse settings
- Familiarity with Afghanistan’s energy sector, including its key energy enterprises and reform initiatives
- Understanding of international development policies and USAID contract management experience
- Experience in post-conflict environments preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in Dari or Pashto preferred
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Chief of Party” in the subject line to AfghanistanPSGRecruitment@chemonics.com by February 15, 2021 . No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.
Chemonics International is a leading international development consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. with more than 40 years of experience implementing programs around the world.