In the Climate Change and Sustainable Development Sector (CSD) within the Vice-Presidency for Sectors and Knowledge (VPS) of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), we conceptualize, prepare, support the execution and oversee the Bank’s operations in borrowing member countries. Our main activities include lending operations, technical assistance, and knowledge generation. We are composed of three divisions: (i) Environment, Rural Development and Disaster Risk Management Division; (ii) the Climate Change Division; and the (iii) the Housing and Urban Development Division. We contribute to turning the Bank into an organization that continually invests in knowledge generation and dissemination in the areas of climate change and sustainability.
The Team’s mission: Fostering resilient and low carbon development requires, among other things, a new generation of development planning approaches, programs and policies. The IDB recognizes this need and the challenges that a transition toward this new generation implies. The Climate Change Division’s central mandate is to help our clients address them.
What you will do:
You will support the Bank’s strategy and actions with respect to climate change.
- Advise IDB Management on the development of climate-relevant strategies, instruments and approaches that respond to the current and potential needs of borrowing member countries.
- Consolidate the integration of climate change mitigation and adaptation into Bank operations, programming and policies, working in close collaboration with IDB’s Divisions, Representations and Departments, among others
- Provide strategic advice and coordinate the strategic participation of team members in the preparation and execution of Bank operations, as well as policy dialogues, institutional capacity-building activities, and analytical and sector work, ensuring the delivery of high-quality products and services.
- Be a trusted advisor to IDB counterparts, including senior government officials, on matters related to climate change.
- Lead high-quality knowledge work and/or applied research on climate change issues, especially on emerging, rapidly evolving and cutting-edge topics, with a focus on helping countries increase their climate resilience.
- Further strengthen the Bank’s participation in climate-focused knowledge networks, including strategic partnerships with relevant institutions from government, international organizations, regional agencies, the academic community, the private sector and civil society.
- Represent the Bank in regional, multilateral and international fora focused on climate mitigation and/or adaptation.
- Lead, manage, coach and mentor interdisciplinary and multi-cultural groups of staff and consultants working on climate-change issues at IDB, located in any of our field offices.
- Act in a manner that is consistent with our ethics and respect in the workplace standards and promote inclusive workplace practices.
What you will need:
Education: You hold a Master’s degree (PhD preferred) or equivalent level advanced degree in engineering, environmental science, economics, public policy, environmental, natural resources or other relevant fields with specialization in climate-relevant area.
- At least 10 years of experience related to the key responsibilities of the position.
- You have developed a strong network of experts with an understanding of the Region and of the operational aspects of a multi-lateral development institution.
- Proven experience in Latin America and/or the Caribbean is strongly preferred.
- A strong record of peer-reviewed publications in the area of climate change will be positively evaluated.
- Demonstrated cultural sensitivity and experience in managing multi-disciplinary and diverse teams. Promote diversity and inclusion, model inclusive behaviors and bring to bear diversity to achieve business results.
- Combine intellectual leadership and a strong technical knowledge plus impeccable integrity and highest ethical standards.
- Strong social and communication skills with the ability to consult, partner and work effectively with senior leaders and business partners across countries, sectors and group members, and drive alignment against key organizational priorities.
- Deliver results and showing project management skills, including but not limited to leadership, communication, planning and people skills, risk and cost management, negotiation, critical thinking and quality management.
- Collaborative team player who can inspire trust and passion in the IDB’s mission, establish productive relationships, and treat all individuals with fairness and respect.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and frameworks in a manner that is suitable to the involved parties and in the best interest of the IDB is a plus.
- Set performance standards and provide feedback, guidance, and coaching to drive growth and continuous improvement.
Languages: Proficiency in Spanish and English; knowledge of Portuguese and/or French is considered a plus.
Link to Technical Competences (← please Ctrl + Click)
Link to Core Competences (← please Ctrl + Click)
Type of contract: Fixed term
Length of Contract: 3 years
Starting date: as soon as possible
Location: Washington DC
Requirements: Candidates must be citizens of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
We encourage women, afro-descendants, people of indigenous origins, and persons with disabilities to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
About the Organization
At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.