Save the Children China country office’s strategic vision is to maintain its leadership role on protecting child rights, to develop programmes that meet the evolving needs for children in China, and to to transit into a local organization and becoming a prospect member of Save the Children. This would not only entail leveraging local resources to expand the reach and impact for children in-country but also influencing Chinese domestic, overseas development and other policies.
Save the Children board has endorsed the principle of establishing a member in China and has approved to move forward with some initial steps as early as 2018. The Chief peration Officer (COO) is required in order to ensure programatic and operational platform is effective and fit-for-purpose at the leadership of the China CEO, that the it is further developed and sets the future member up for success, and that the operation in China meets the KPI of the movement. The COO will also assist the Country CEO on certain aspects relating to the transition to a prospect member but will assume overall operational and financial responsibility for the country office.
- Contributing to the development of a China strategy and implementation plan for the transition to membership, and support and facilitate the implementation.
- Contributing to the development of a China stragey for child rights that meets the local children’s needs while in line with Save the Children global initiatives
- Driving the development and delivery of programmes according to the China strategy for child rights that meet children’s needs in China, where the social and economic landscape evolves rapidly, and follow the Save the Children global programme strategy and global initiatives and growth targets as set for China and adapted to the local situation
- Strengthening China country office’s thought leadership in child rights by designing a couple of signature programmes which serve as umbrellas to current projects.
- Developing and maintaining efficient and effective operating systems, and ensure compliance with all Save the Children International minimum standards and policies as well as Chinese laws and regulations.
- Work with various directors of the functional teams and area managers to oversee all sub-offices and ensure the compliance with all relevant SCI processes and procedures as well as local laws and regulations.
- Developing and maintaining effective and efficient risk management systems, to address operational and programmatic challenges and ensure the operatoin complies with both the Chinese laws and regulationas and SCI rules.
- Growing the funding base to ensure Save The Children is adequately resourced to deliver on its ambition for Children in China; Building and maintaining good relations with Members and their donors; developing the relevance between our programmes and the business of potential international corporate donors in China.
- Preparing for and implementing rapid and effective responses to major emergencies affecting children, including building relationships with key humanitarian and development decision-makers and partners in-country
- Strategic development and delivery of international programming, including advocacy, in both humanitarian and development contexts, in line with the Save the Children mandate, strategy and theory of change
- Consolidating Save The Children’s position as the leading organization for Children in the region, so as to enhance influence child-sensitive policies and resource allocation decisions of Chinese International Development agencies; Collaborating with colleagues in the region to support regional advocacy engagement.
- Supporting the development of an organisational culture that reflects our commitments to child rights and firmly embed Save the Children’s values and programming principles in the identity of the potential future member.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
Closing Date for Application: 6 April 2020
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.