Chemonics seeks a child protection specialist for an ongoing DFID Syria Education Programme – Takaamul in Syria. The project aims to achieve measurable improvements in children’s Arabic and mathematics competencies, and to improve children’s wellbeing. The child protection specialist will develop and implement Takaamul’s integrated interventions to enhance access and quality of education for all children. S/he will identify, develop, and monitor implementation of Takaamul’s inclusive education training modules to strengthen the learning environment as well as the protection and well-being of learners, teachers, and other education personnel in coordination with the Takaamul technical team and partners. This position is desk-based, with online meetings. Colleagues are based in Washington, London and Syria, so most calls happen between GMT 11:00 – 15:00. Partners are based in the Syria time zone. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Work with partner NGOs on Takaamul to assess the capacity of their case workers and case management supervisors. While our partners are responsible for training and coaching of their staff; the Child protection specialist will Quality Assure (QA) that and advise on useful resources
- Quality assure training plans from partners regarding training of teachers on Child Protection issues
- Quality assure partners’ case tracking systems
- Conduct case management / case review discussions with Child Protection Advisers to QA the case management process
- Quality assure the standard operating procedures of a Complaints Response Feedback Mechanism as it relates to identifying and escalating child well-being / potential protection issues (the system is not intended to manage child protection cases, but stakeholders might report issues there)
- Review contingency and emergency plans as they relate to Child Protection
- Work with child protection advisers to make the case for in-kind support to DFID and advise on standard operating procedures to guide in-kind support
- A partner organization will lead on the implementation of CPIMS+. The specialist will provide advice to the Takaamul management team on the progress of implementation from a technical perspective
- Review the referral mechanisms that have been put in place. These include referral to Takaamul from parents, teachers, and community members; and onward referral by Takaamul to more specialized services / Child Protection committees
- Engage closely with counterpart child protection advisers in partner NGOs and Takaamul Management to ensure appropriate reporting of child protection concerns to DFID
- Represent Chemonics in meetings of Child Protection actors in North-East Syria
- Coordinate with the Child Safeguarding and Programming manager to identify opportunities for shared capacity building of staff and external stakeholders
- Coordinate with the Education Specialist to ensure work is complementary
- Coordinate with the monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) manager to sense-check their analysis of monitoring data from a Complaints Response Feedback Mechanism as it relates to child well-being / potential protection issues, and reporting from partners Child Protection monitoring / case management systems
- Administer and interpret results from a Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire and Child Functioning Screening to identify at-risk children
- Bachelor’s degree equivalent or above in a social science
- Minimum of five years of experience in the field of Child Protection
- Experience working on social development projects in fragile contexts, including in the MENA region
- Experience working in Syria preferable
- Understanding of Child Protection issues, including MHPSS, psychological first aid and (desirable) Education in Emergencies
- Working knowledge of The Alliance’s Minimum Standards for Child Protection in Humanitarian Action
- Working knowledge of the Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergency’s minimum standards
- Understanding of the child protection risks and limitations in service in NE Syria
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in Arabic; Fluency in English
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Child Protection Specialist” in the subject line to TakaamulRecruit@chemonics.com. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.
Chemonics International is a leading international development consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. with more than 40 years of experience implementing programs around the world.