Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Clinical Services and Quality Director for the upcoming USAID Private Health Sector Program in Ethiopia. The project’s goal is to further strengthen private sector engagement to support service delivery to address diseases of public health importance in Ethiopia. This includes diseases that previous projects have focused on (HIV, Malaria, TB, FP/RMNCH) and include new clinical areas. The activity will concentrate in solidifying the strong foundation of work to engage private health sector participation gained in previous projects and further enhace policy, regulation, financing and facilitation of private/public partnerships in health (PPPH).
The Clinical Services and Quality Director will be responsible for leading the project’s strategic direction and oversee implementation of activites to strengthen systems and capacities to scale-up participation of the private health sector to address and mitigate diseases of public health concerns. This position will report to the Deputy Chief of Party and will have direct reports.
Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic direction for and lead the planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of 1) clinical services (that can include comprehensive HIV/AIDS, PPM-DOTS, MNCH, FP, STI, and Malaria services) provision by the private health sector; 2) regulatory and quality initiatives for best practice service delivery; and 3) pharmatecutial and laboratory systems strengthening
- Provide management and technical leadership and implementation support to ensure that the key interventions under clinical services and quality are successfully implemented in accordance with the goal, objectives and expected results of the project
- Incorporate a whole systems and market based approach to further strengthen systems and capabilities to scale up engagement of private sector organizations to deliver health services
- Provide high-quality technical products and services, deliver required results, and uses resources efficiently and cost-effectively. This includes timely preparation and submission of deliverables and coordination and oversight of program area teams to do the same
- Monitor the progress and pace of program area implementation, ensuring that project performance meets the expectations of USAID and clients, and brings any issues and concerns regarding project implementation to the attention of the COP/DCOP in timely manner
- Perform/contribute as member of the project’s Senior Management Team (SMT)
- Identify policy, regulatory and other barriers that impact participation by private sector organizations in health service delivery; and collaborate with internal and external partners to address issues
- Liaise with private health sector businesses and professional associations to expand delivery of health services by the private sector that are based on MOH and international standards
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to identify and establish public/private partnerships in health
- Participate in technical working groups at the MOH and liaise with relevant stakeholders (MoH, RHB, NGOs, FBO, associations) on private health sector related issues
- Support and supervise a team of health and systems strengthening professionals
- Prepare quality improvement tools for clinical services in private health facilities aligned and cascade its implementation in the regions to ensure achievement of quality indicators by supported private health facilities
- Prepare sustainability and capacity building plan for PPM programs at national and regional levels. Plan and provided trainings to build the capacity of officers at RHB and District Health Offices to run a PPM programs in their regions and districts
- Perform other activities as assigned by immpediate suppervsior
- MD with subspecialty training (preferably in internal medicine or pediatrics)
- 15 years of demonstrated relevant professional experience in expanding access to essential HIV and AIDS, maternal, neonatal and child health (MNCH), TB (including MDR TB), FP and malaria services in resource limited settings and at the national and sub national levels
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of public and private healthcare systems in Ethiopia
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Excellent working relationships with key officials in the Ethiopian Ministry of Health and ability to operate at high levels in the Ethiopian and international public health communities
- Strong communication and facilitation skills with the ability to lead high-level meetings, forums, and conferences
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy.
- Demonstrated leadership and team work skills, and ability to produce high-quality work in a timely, cost effective manner.
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.