This is a local position; therefore, it is open to Philippine nationality only.
Background Information – Philippines
UNOPS Philippines was established in early 2016 to support, develop and oversee UNOPS’ growing portfolio of programmes and projects in the Philippines. The office currently provides implementation services to a range of projects where we work very closely with development partners, the Government and the Supreme Court focusing on the Governance/Justice, health and infrastructure sector.
The office is based in Manila, Philippines with project sides in the Tacloban and Iloilo area.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners and is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Background Information – Job Specific
The Construction Manager will focus on infrastructure projects that aim to support the government of Philippines in the recovery from the Yolanda 2013 typhoon. Examples of such infrastructures are Ports, Hospitals and other similar projects.
The Construction Manager is part of the UNOPS supervision team and is required to manage and coordinate day to day activities of contractors in coordination with the project engineer. The Construction Manager will be expected to demonstrate to tradesmen best practice techniques of key technical trades. The Construction Manager will therefore have extensive practical experience performing practical construction activities and supervising works to ensure UNOPS Quality Assurance requirements are being met, and that the Contractor carries out the Quality Control functions effectively.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of Project manager or Senior Project Engineer, the incumbent shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Monitor UNOPS implementation plan including Quality, Health & Safety and Environment.
- Ensure that the Contractor manage, plan and coordinate monthly, weekly and daily construction activities including monitoring site safety and construction quality.
- Follow up and verify that planned activities as described at point “b” are successfully implemented.
- Perform QC/QA and detect any deviation from design specification or non-conformity against construction standards/best practice.
- Monitor and highlight issues and risks related to quality and timely implementation of works. Consequently, work with PEs in order avoid or mitigate negative impact on the project.
- Detection of non-conformities: review the non-conformities reports produced by the PEs ensuring clarity and correctness before transferring to PM.
- Approval of rectification of non-conformities: ensure that the plan for rectification of non-conformities proposed by the contractor is appropriate and follow up on implementation of the rectification plan.
- Plan QA/QC activities to be performed by the PEs in the field. Follow up verifying that plans are duly implemented by the PEs and flag to PM about any issue.
- Support with PM in structuring the filing system and archive of all documents relevant and necessary for the proper construction management and QA/QC and comply with it or, if any problem occur, work with PM to rectify the issue.
- Prepare accurate and timely: reports of progress and QA/QC activities, technical documentation and all what necessary in order to proceed with payments to the contractor, reports on any other issue concerning the needs of variations or extra ordinary actions in order to achieve the construction milestones at desired quality and time.
- Produce any appropriate technical documentation identified by the Project Manager in a professional and accurate manner.
- Advice and report about opportunities to ameliorate the project (infrastructure and capacity building components) related to sustainable energy.
- Contribute to the project evaluation process; highlight challenges associated with the project and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Provide training and knowledge transfer to national/contractor personnel including advice on good construction practices, environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Construction Manager directly impacts the successful delivery of the project on time, budget and above the expectations of all stakeholders. This consequently reinforces the visibility and image of UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge and commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation and focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with contractor and colleagues.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner and to manage priorities
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project and in accordance with UNOPS shared goals
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge of processes and construction technologies related to infrastructures such as maritime infrastructures.
- Demonstrate strong technical knowledge of typical quality issues and how to prevent/avoid them.
- Demonstrate capacity to manage contractor especially form a QA/QC and payment related progress point of view.
- Demonstrate capacity to perform progress monitoring tasks especially related to payments to contractor.
- Demonstrate capacity to perform field supervision for Health and Safety.
- Demonstrate capacity to perform supervision for ensuring that the environmental management plan is properly respected and implemented.
- Advanced University degree (Master) in the area of Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or other related fields.
- Bachelor degree in the relevant field (above) in combination with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Project Management Certification (for example PRINCE2®) or Project Management Professional (PMP®) is desirable.
- Transportation / Sea Ports / Marine Work
- Health and Safety Management
- Quality Management Systems
- Quality Control
- Power Plant
- Renewable Energies Engineering
- Contracts Negotiation
- Risk Analysis
- Budget Management
- Project Management
- Project Management Support
- Management experience
- Private Sector Experience
- Supervisory experience
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in managing or supervising construction activities related to the project requirements on a range of large and diverse construction projects.
- Extensive experience implementing works under quality and safety plans is highly desirable.
- Experience in QA/QC is asset.
- Experience in implementation of works from contractor side is desirable.
- Experience in developing design drawings, specifications and bill of quantities, preparation of documents for contractor payments is desirable.
- Experience in Contractors Management is desirable.
- Proficiency with computers in particular MS Word, MS Excel, AutoCAD, MS Outlook, internet, and other programming packages is desirable.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
Apply online at https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=15573
Applications submitted through other means will not be considered.
About the Organization
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.