The USAID/Egypt Mission has contracted The QED Group LLC to implement the Services to Improve Performance Management, Enhance Learning and Evaluation (SIMPLE). SIMPLE provides a host of services to support USAID/Egypt’s Program and Technical Offices in areas including monitoring, evaluation, program design, and information management. These services include activity/project designs, assessments, evaluations, management information and reporting. The primary purpose of this award is to improve performance management at all levels to help the Mission meet Agency requirements, make better informed strategic and management decisions, and advance Agency learning.
SIMPLE is recruiting for a local Demining Victims Reintegration Subject Matter Expert for an anticipated evaluation task described below.
Estimated LOE: up to 40 days
Start-up timeline: expected March 2020
Egypt is known to have a considerable mine and explosive remnants of war (ERW) problem affecting the socio-economic development of the North West Coast (NWC). The major source of the contamination with ERWs can be traced back more than 70 years to the World War II. According to figures of the Egyptian Army, nearly 16.7 million landmines and unexploded ordnance (UXO) are spread over a vast area of about 5,100 Km² in the NWC. This constitutes a major obstacle confronting the implementation of many of the development plans and causes continuous threat to local inhabitants in the governorate of Matrouh. USAID has supported the Executive Secretariat of Demining and Development (ESDD); supported reintegration of mine victims and developed mine education and victims advocacy programs in the region.
Purpose of Evaluation:
The purpose of this evaluation is to conduct an end-of-project performance evaluation of assistance provided to the ESDD, the effectiveness and sustainability of the interventions supported, and inform future programming. The evaluation is anticipated to look in particular at
two components: 1) reintegration of mine victims with special emphasis on women; and 2) risk education programs and advocacy activities.
Egyptian Nationals are highly encouraged to apply
The Demining Victims Reintegration Subject Matter Expert will join the evaluation as a team member and provide subject matter expertise. He/she will participate in the following activities:
- Conduct desk review to familiarize with the project under evaluation and prepare for the evaluation
- Contribute to the development of the evaluation design documents from a technical standpoint, including: evaluation plan, data collection instruments, key informant and group discussion tools, data quality assurance plans, analysis plan and/or other relevant design documents
- Participate in interviews and site visits brining in the subject matter expertise to bear in all fieldwork activities. Fieldwork will take place Marsa Matrouh and El Dabaa cities, both in Matrouh governorate
- Carry out research and analysis, from a subject matter expertise standpoint, based on the USAID approved methodology; including reviewing and analyzing secondary documents, participating in key informant interviews, and conducting quality assurance controls over field data collection activities
- Contribute to analysis of data collected, from a subject matter expertise angle
- Join the team in the preparation of findings conclusions and recommendations of the evaluation, preparation and delivery of debriefing on the same
- Contribute to the preparation of the the draft and final results report (including executive summary and annexes), and in particular technical content. Contribute to revisions to these documents in light of QED and SIMPLE comments, comments from USAID/Egypt and the implementing partner
- Advanced degree in economics, social science, development, or a related field
- Five to ten year’s relevant professional experience in demining victims reintegration work/activities; hands-one experience doing this type of work at the community level highly desired
- Experience as member of evaluations teams/assignments desired
- Demonstrated experience preparing and/or contributing to the writing of technical reports required; experience with USAID requirements desired
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively within a multi-cultural team
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities, in a fast-paced team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and talent for productively interacting with a wide range of actors
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Arabic required
- Work experience in Egypt required
About the Organization
QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in more than 90 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.