Overall Objective and Purpose
The overall objective of this assignment is to deliver lectures on water diplomacy for the students of the Institute of International Relations, the International University for Humanities and Development, and the attendees of the Academy of Civil Service under the President of Turkmenistan.
- Develop the program and presentation materials for the lectures on water diplomacy for the students of the Institute of International Relations, the International University for Humanities and Development and the attendees of the Academy of Civil Service;
- Submit a detailed program to CAREC and USAID Governance Support Program;
- Deliver 9 lectures on the topics below listed:
- Transboundary Water Resources and Global Regional Conventions,
- Water Resources and International Law,
- Models and Mechanisms of Transboundary Water Cooperation,
- Resolution of Transboundary Water Disputes,
- Water Conflicts and Water Disputes,
- Cooperative Management of International Water Resources.
- Provide a Report including recommendations on the topics of further possible lectures that Turkmenistan students can benefit from.
Duration of the Work
The total duration of the consultancy shall be 7 working days, including 3 days in Turkmenistan.
Tentative dates for lectures are December 19-21, 2018. The dates of the activities are contingent upon Turkmenistan Government approval.
The report will be sent to CAREC and GSP.
The duty station will be Ashgabat city, Turkmenistan.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. QED has a 20 years history of evidence based development, which includes more than $3.5 billion in programs evaluated and work in 96 countries around the globe. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world.
The USAID “Governance Support Program in Turkmenistan” (GSP) and Office of the “Regional Ecological Center in Central Asia” in Turkmenistan (CAREC) are cooperating in the area of improving water management legislative base. Within the context of above mentioned a series of lectures on water diplomacy will be delivered for high institutions of Turkmenistan. The Activity aims at addressing water diplomacy issues and the capacity building of civil servants and students. Education and capacity building are absolute requirements to empower all those who are closely or indirectly involved in water or water related disputes. It is crucial to provide a high standard education to new generations of water professionals. In addition, it is essential to continuously train those already active, to better understand the options available to address latent or actual competition over water and how to take into account technical, scientific, political, or governance-related factors.