The Contracts Director oversees the contracts and grants compliance function across the firm. The Director is responsible for a portfolio of awards from multiple donors and provides in-house expertise, guidance and advice to project managers regarding funder regulations and requirements.
The Director reports to the Managing Director, Agility. The Director supervises a small team of contracts specialists, engages within and across teams globally, and manages communications and relationships with funders, external stakeholders and vendors. We seek a combination of U.S. government contracting compliance expertise and outstanding interpersonal, diplomacy and communications skills. The successful Director will balance structure with flexibility and help mitigate risk in the context of a risk-inclined, flat organizational culture.
This position is fully remote within the Unites States or Geneva, Switzerland.
- Manage Contracts team, providing overall team leadership, coordination, guidance and direction
- Manage a portfolio of awards from multiple donors including the United States Government, Foreign Governments and Private Foundations
- Review and negotiate terms and conditions with donors, clients, vendors and other suppliers
- Provide subaward management, including issuing awards, drafting modifications, reviewing budgets, invoices, obtaining approvals, providing training materials, etc.
- Ensure compliance with award requirements
- Advise on and/or help prepare cost and pricing proposals in coordination with technical staff and design lab
- Prepare RFQs/RFPs, review quotes/proposals, assist in selecting vendor/contractor, help in documenting selection, obtaining any necessary approvals and issuing award
- Provide general contract implementation support to all offices
- Negotiate and manage consulting agreements
- Budget preparation and/or review for budgets to be submitted to a donor (budget realignments, ceiling increases, extensions, etc.)
- Liaise with all teams regularly, especially Design Lab, Talent and Finance, to ensure coordinated, efficient processes and results
- Oversee and advise on corporate governance and compliance with regulatory matters pertaining to our business structure and compulsory requirements
- Advise and lead in structuring contracts management and vendor management modules within ERP implementation across teams. Create and document corresponding processes that are pragmatic, efficient, and measurable.
- Engage employees with an approachable, diplomatic demeanor to encourage improved compliance-related behavior, explaining the connection between strong compliance, project quality and long-term firm success
- Manage the contracts team and overall contracts portfolio
- Participate on the management team
- Train employees on contract and compliance topics, policies and procedures
- Provide counsel, coaching and advice to team managers across the firm as needed to support compliance, strong donor relations and new business development
Management & Leadership
- Review compliance globally
- Be an overall brainstorming partner, find the balance of “Think Big” and compliance at ThinkWell
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills that align with our values and must be modeled and demonstrated in order to thrive at the firm.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and fearlessly challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who makes independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and is open to disrupting conventional business as usual.
Strong orientation to empower others and create an enabling, learning environment so that others can take initiative, assume responsibility and be accountable.
A collaborative worker with a cooperative spirit who engages constructively with colleagues from different cultures, orientations, and operating lenses (political, technical, funder, business partner, etc) and is able to maintain positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question, evolve by learning and embrace change.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 12+ yrs exp or grad degree and 10+ yrs exp;
- Substantial work experience in international development procurement and contracts/subcontracts management;
- Experience with USG rules, regulations and FAR/OMB. USAID, CDC, EU, private foundation and corporation contracts experience;
- Ability to adapt to a risk-inclined, non-bureaucratic and non-hierarchical organizational culture;
- Experience preparing complex budgets in Excel for multi-year cost proposal submissions;
- Adept at communicating technical information to non-technical audiences;
- A team player, motivated to provide subject matter expertise with a collaborative, customer service orientation;
- Demonstrated team and people management abilities with a focus on growing staff, mentoring and coaching junior professionals;
- A senior leader, able to rally staff around ThinkWell’s mission and priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with external strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- Full English fluency, second language a plus;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ease with Technology and able to navigate multiple software applications to perform work;
- Comfort working remotely, across multiple time zones, and with minimal oversight.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.