The Country Representative (CR) is responsible for managing and advancing the mission and objectives of CRS within the country. S/he provides strategic leadership for staff, programs and partnerships. The CR is also responsible for advancing CRS’ reputation and impact within the country and for monitoring and mitigating risks and liabilities.
Position Scope and Scale:
CRS has been operating in Zimbabwe for over 32 years and has long-standing relationships with Church, international and local partners, private sector, local and donor governments, and vulnerable communities throughout the country. The Zimbabwe country program implements projects in collaboration with 17 partner organizations in approximately 30 districts in the areas of health, OVC/youth, agricultural livelihoods, emergency response, WASH and peacebuilding. In recent years, CRS has partnered with a range of institutional donors including PEPFAR, USAID/BHA, USAID/CMM and a series of private and foundational donors.
Required/Desired Foreign Language
- English required, other languages such as Portuguese or French a plus
- Frequent travel required within the country
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Regional Director, Deputy Regional Directors for Program/ Management Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, Overseas Support Department, Program Innovation & Quality Assurance, Human Resources, Finance, Charitable Giving, Mission & Mobilization.
External: Government of Zimbabwe, national and local level officials from Catholic Church, US government, various United Nations organizations, other donor governments, implementing partner organizations, as well as key visitors from the USCCB and CRS partner organizations
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Development or a relevant field
- 10 or more years’ experience managing complex relief and development programs
- Demonstrated experience with USG resources; familiarity with USG regulations
- Experience managing a variety of complex, high-value projects from multiple international donors
- Results driven; able to set and achieve ambitious goals and instill confidence
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to cultivate strong relationships while working with a wide range of individuals in and outside the agency
- Strong communications and presentation skills; able to develop tailored and persuasive messaging for varied audiences
- Proactive; willing and able to take on additional responsibility, challenge assumptions and facilitate change
- Discerning; able to maintain focus and provide good judgment amidst complexity and uncertainty
- Develops others; excellent listener who is able to coach and mentor
- Aligned; able to support and champion the mission, vision, and values of CRS
- Strategic and innovative thinker; able to formulate guiding questions, leverage resources and find creative solutions
Agency-wide Competencies: (based on the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS; to be exemplified by all staff in fulfillment of his or her respective roles and responsibilities)
* Accountability and Stewardship
* Build Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Continuous Improvement and Innovation
* Strategic Mindset
Position Specific Competencies:
*Leads toward Strategic Results
*Manages Risk and Complexity
*Represents and Partners Strategically
*Champions Learning and Performance
These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff working in emergencies to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
* Communicates strategically under pressure
* Manages stress and complexity
* Actively promotes safety and security
* Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.