Join the Media Platform for the Global Development Community.
You: an energetic, personable, motivated and experienced journalist or communications specialist with superb research and writing skills and a passion for global development. You are looking for the next major challenge in your career and want extra responsibility, a higher profile and to have an impact on the issues that matter. You have social media savvy, an analytical mind and your writing allows you to distill complex stories down to key facts and core takeaways (all with writerly flair!)
Us: a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world through our audience of 1 million aid workers and development professionals.
If you are eager to make a real difference for people everywhere and to help build one of the most exciting new media platforms in the world, we’d love to meet you. You’ll find at Devex an opportunity to carve out your own place, learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an energizing culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun).
Why this position is great for you:
- We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- Be part of a global news team that is read by major leadership figures in the global development sector as well as the professionals on the ground in every country in the world
- We produce a mix of content, including full-length features, and have a sustainable business model to do it
- Professionals at Save the Children, CARE, ONE, Gates Foundation and more rely on us to be in-the-know
- We’re a young, dynamic company that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- No bureaucracy here: you’ll get to own your work and will get the support you need
- Want to get ahead? We’re filled with stories of people who joined Devex and moved up, and up, and up. And that’s exactly what we’re looking for from you
- Devex is looking for someone to curate and aggregate news and views about the development sector across a range of Devex editorial products. But that’s just the start: we want someone to develop the Devex voice, provide context, analysis and smart opinions of their own when it comes to dealing with the daily news cycle
- You will be able distill the most important development news, opinions and research findings from around the world into highly readable curated news products for the global development community
- You will drive our audience to the stories they need to know about, while also providing smart analysis on those stories yourself
- The world’s development community will look to you each morning for a snapshot of their industry
- You will be responsible for growing traffic to these products so that Devex engages its audience more deeply and also provides platforms for advertising
Desired Skills and Experience
- Journalism or communications experience, including web media, social media
- Strong writing skills and an analytical mindset
- Experience in curation or aggregation - such as pulling together blogs, newsletters or curating aggregation pages
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- Deep experience and knowledge of the development sector
- Strong knowledge of global affairs and passion for issues in global aid and international development including extensive knowledge of the World Bank, USAID, United Nations and/or U.S. government
- Mastery of key development issues including impact investing, the role of sustainable business models in development and the growth of private foundations
- Existing work authorization in the United States or Europe
- Experience working with or covering major development institutions, from leading NGOs to foundations to donor agencies
- You haven’t just heard of the World Bank and the Gates Foundation; you actually know what they do and how they work
Washington, D.C. or Barcelona (though other locations may be considered for exceptional candidates)
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world.