The USAD Mongolia Energy Governance activity aims to support Mongolia’s efforts to increase their goal of energy self-reliance through increased private sector investment for renewable energy and energy efficiency; adopt innovative and modern technologies to improve grid performance; and strengthen the country’s planning, policy, and enabling environment to increase competitive procurement and affordability in Mongolia’s electricity sector. The USAID Mongolia Energy Governance activity will be structured to include three major objectives and six cross-cutting priorities, including:
- Objective 1: Improve planning and operational performance of the electricity and heating system
- Objective 2: Increase market competitiveness in the power sector
- Objective 3: Enable adoption of modern energy generation and management technologies
The activity also includes Cross-cutting priorities:
- Gender Equality and Female Empowerment
- Private Sector Engagement (PSE)
- Environmental Compliance and Climate Risk Management
- Monitoring Evaluation and Learning
- Grants Under Contract
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to manage program finance, operations and administration and support technical tasks for the USAID Mongolia Energy Governance activity. The DCOP must ensure overall compliance with USAID rules and regulations, financial management, international and local personnel recruitment and management, subcontractor management, procurement, reporting requirements, and activity start-up and close-out. The position will be based in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and is contingent upon activity award.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work directly with and support the COP on all tasks including liaising with USAID, senior government officials and counter parts, the donor community, and other USAID programs
- Provide oversight for implementation of program activities, with responsibility (in collaboration with the COP) for the development of high-quality and timely deliverables, management, compliance, and reporting according to USAID and Abt Associates requirements
- Provide leadership, management and support strategic direction for the activity
- Responsible for overseeing activity management, operations, and administration including HR, contracts, subcontracts, procurement, finance, recruiting, and grants, and legal functions, consistent with USG and USAID regulations, Abt Associates Policy, and Mongolian Law
- Provide management and oversight for all cross-cutting deliverables and regular reporting
- An advanced degree in finance, business, energy policy, environmental studies, engineering, business, or a related field
- At least 10 years of experience supporting and managing energy programs in developing countries; Asia experience highly preferred.
- Experience managing international development energy projects as a senior manager with broad program oversight: Deputy Chief of Party experience with USAID projects preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to work and coordinate effectively with a wide variety of stakeholders, including national governments, the donor community, and private sector
- Demonstrated experience working with the private sector, government institutions, regulators, utilities, financial institutions, and project developers
- Knowledge of Mongolia’s energy and climate change policies, laws, organizations, and capacity constraints, including the solar, wind, hydropower and natural gas sectors is preferred but not required
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships and motivate subordinates
- Fluency in English required, knowledge of Russian or Mongolian is preferred but not required
- (10+) years of experience and a bachelor degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.