Join the Media Platform for the Global Development Community.
You: a talented and motivated interactive graphic storyteller with a passion for journalism, data, and design.
Us: a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world through our audience of one million aid workers and development professionals.
If you’re eager to work on all aspects of the creative process – from collaborating with reporters to identify strong graphic projects, to analyzing large data sets, to storyboarding ideas, to coding the experience – we’d love to meet. You’ll find at Devex an opportunity to carve out your own place in the world, learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an energizing culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun).
Why this position is great for you:
- We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- Our news team gets to know some of the most inspiring leaders in the world, from celebrities to philanthropists to aid workers making a difference on the ground
- This role will work closely with the Product Innovation team to evolve our publishing platform, so your technical chops will help us improve Devex’s ability to develop innovative graphic storytelling tools
- We write exclusively original content, including full-length features, and have a sustainable business model to do it
- Professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, Gates Foundation and more rely on us to be in-the-know
- We’re a young, dynamic company that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- No bureaucracy here: you’ll get to own your work and will get the support you need
- Want to get ahead? We’re filled with stories of people who joined Devex and moved up, and up, and up. And that’s exactly what we’re looking for from you.
- Like to travel? There are lots of opportunities to get out to where the stories are happening
What we need from you:
The main responsibilities of the Devex Digital News Designer are…
- Collaborate with our News teams to communicate ideas and goals by creating interactive and non-interactive data visualizations, including charts, graphics, calculators, infographics, maps, and explainers.
- Develop graphics for web, video and social media.
- Work closely the Product Innovation team to evolve our publishing platform.
- Find and create tools to allow the Devex News team to create infographics and interactive media more easily and integrate them into our website and on microsites.
- Collaborate with video team on projects to integrate video and interactive media.
Desired Skills and Experience
To fit well in this role you must be truly sharp, an excellent designer, and someone with a journalist’s mindset. You also must have…
- 3+ years recent and relevant experience creating multimedia infographics
- A journalism background
- Relevant undergraduate degree & existing work authorization for Europe
- Knowledge of data visualization and UI design
- Expertise in standard design tools (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Adobe Creative Suite)
Besides the basic requirements, here’s what we’d love to see…
- Experience in QGis, ArcGIS , Google Maps Api and large government open data APIs
- Familiarity with HTML5 graphics and rendering (such as Raphael and D3).
- Experience with Tilemill.
- Web design experience, especially designing with web standards.
- A solid understanding of statistics.
- You haven’t just heard of the World Bank and the Gates Foundation; you actually know what they do and how they work
Location: Barcelona, Spain.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Cover letters and links to online portfolios would be preferred, but are not required.
Our workplace offers creative spaces, snack-filled fridges and all the espresso you can drink. If you’d like to be a part of this progressive group of global development game changers, we want to hear from you.
Get the conversation started by submitting an application now!
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people.
An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona, and Manila, and reporters around the world. Our diverse global team includes 100 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world. Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.