Head Global is recruiting on behalf of International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) for a Director of Development. The Director of Development is a member of IFES’ senior management team, reports to the VP for Global Growth and Outreach, and works closely with the Executive Team and other senior staff to:
- Advance the organization’s global growth strategy and targets.
- Recommend policies, controls, and procedures to guide and support effective business development practice and ensure their implementation.
- Update and upgrade business development practices to best align with IFES’ strategic plan, change management efforts, organizational needs and market realities
- Build and nurture strong, proactive business development capacities at HQ and in the field.
- Work collaboratively across organizational boundaries to better position the organization for business opportunities.
The Director of Development will oversee the GGO-BD team on a daily basis and work with designated business capture managers, proposal teams, and senior managers to successfully capture business opportunities. S/he must be a flexible leader who drives business development forward in an effective, collaborative, innovative manner.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Market Intelligence and Institutional Competitiveness
- Lead periodic market analyses and synthesize the findings into business development processes, planning, and decision-making.
- Lead across departmental boundaries to advance IFES’ strategic, competitive business interests.
- Lead formal, rapid assessments of IFES and competitor capacity, identification of differentiators, and crafting of win themes for must win rebids, reach opportunities, and priority full and open solicitations in line with IFES’ strategic objectives.
- Coordinate with the Center for Applied Research and Learning to capture, analyze, and convey institutional indicators of impact to strengthen competitive position.
- Provide expertise and advice to the Center for Applied Research and Learning to update, administer, and analyze IFES’ donor satisfaction survey
Business Development Planning and Budgeting
- Oversee the development of objectives, work / action plans, and targets for the business development unit.
- Monitor and evaluate interim results and recommend course corrections as needed.
- Report on interim, quarterly, and annual BD results as required for quarterly portfolio reviews, board meetings, and as requested by the executive leadership team.
- Prepare and manage the business development (BD) unit annual operations budget.
- Advise program and technical teams on accurately calculating BD costs.
- Manage the allocation of Bids and Proposals (B&P) funds, monitor and analyze BD expenses across the organization.
- Analyze win-loss data and perform return on investment (RoI) analyses.
- Collaborate with finance to assess risks associated with non-USG funding, new donors, and private donors.
Business Development Tools and Resources
- Manage the periodic review and adaptation of BD processes, practices, and tools to ensure efficiency and effectiveness.
- Monitor the BD Agora site for quality control purposes and direct updates / adjustments as required.
- Monitor the BD tracker for accuracy, timeliness, and comprehensiveness and enforce quality control vis-à-vis the Proposal Coordinator and capture management team.
- Track the organization’s strategic outreach to donor HQs.
- Lead procurement processes for vendors to support the work of GGO-BD.
- Oversee GGO-BD vendor contracts and deliverables.
- Oversee the preparation of the GGO-BD Newsletter and input to other internal and external communications content / products as they relate to business development.
- Work across departmental boundaries to anticipate, plan, and produce winning proposals that reflect IFES best technical, management, and support offerings to the donor.
- Direct and provide hands-on management of full and open proposal development processes (USG and non-USG), oversee adherence to donor regulations and guidelines and with IFES administrative controls governing proposal development processes, and work cross-functionally to gather material and synthesize information into high-quality final products:
- Manage bid / no-bid process, advise the DevCom during the bid / no-bid process, and communicate DevCom decisions to capture managers
- Review and finalize compliance matrices and enforce their use by proposal teams including writers, costers, and reviewers
- Ensure compliance with proposal timelines, schedules, and deadlines
- Oversee proposal team member roles and responsibilities
- Oversee the development of outlines and delegation of writing assignments
- Ensure adherence to the scheduling and conduct of capture strategy / program design sessions (pink team), proposal reviews (red and gold teams) and budget reviews (green and silver teams)
- As needed, lead capture strategy / program design sessions (pink team) During review processes, assure quality, competitiveness, and responsiveness to the solicitation.
- Collaborate with research and program teams to improve the quality and consistency of past performance, M&E data, success stories, and testimonials available for use in proposals.
- Undertake final compliance check of proposals prior to submission.
- Lead the collection and analysis of donor feedback on losing bids
Coordination and Representation
- Serve on Business Development Committee and prepare agenda for and manage weekly meetings of the business capture team (B&P meeting).
- On a day to day basis, direct capture efforts for new and renewed public funding (USG and foreign).
- Work with executive team, operations and programs to help align IFES policies, procedures, and practices with the requirements of multiple donors
- In coordination with the VP-GGO, represent IFES at bidders’ conferences and other networking events involving donors and the international development community.
- Represent GGO-BD in partner meetings (as part of the capture process) and manage pre-teaming / teaming agreements and MDNAs for consortia in which IFES is a partner.
- Collaborate on the planning and execution capital campaigns, stewardship events, and fundraising efforts with special initiatives including IFES annual Democracy Awards and USEP corporate sponsorship program.
Capacity Management and Development
- Raise awareness among HQ and field staff of available business development tools and how KM tools can be used for business development purposes.
- Oversee and actively engagement in the development and delivery of BD capacity building and coaching and undertake new staff orientation on business development.
- Build and maintain a network (and roster) of business development professionals.
- Manage consultants under BOAs / contacts and with GGO-BD.
- Lead procurement processes for consultants for GGO-BD.
- Manage the public sector internship program.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Minimum of 10+ years progressively responsible professional experience in business development in the field of foreign aid funded democracy programs or related sector and strong management skills and experience.
A successful candidate will have:
- Proven experience crafting award winning proposals for USAID and State Department funding. Demonstrated experience with funding diversification involving non-USG donors.
- Clear understanding of applicable policies, rules, regulations, and guidance governing USAID and State Department funding. Familiarity with non-USG donor requirements a plus.
- Strong organization and management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others at varying levels of seniority and across departmental boundaries and to exercise influence to achieve a cohesive approach to business development.
- Integrity, judgment and discretion along with a professional and interpersonal demeanor that elicits trust and respect from colleagues, donors, and strategic partners.
- Established credentials in business development and an existing network of donor representatives and implementing organizations working in foreign aid preferably in DRG or related sector.
- Ability to multi-task, manage a heavy workload and intense deadline pressures, and engage in decisive and effective decision-making
- Minimal travel is anticipated for this position.
About the Organization
Head Global provides high-quality, carefully customized recruitment and business development services to our international development clients around the world. We find talent specifically tailored to your organization’s unique needs so that you can deliver the best development services for your stakeholders around the world.
Since 2016, Head Global has provided recruitment and business development services to more than 30 international development partners, and worked in more than 60 countries across all continents and in all international development technical sectors.
Whether you need short-term consultants with a specific specialty in business development, project operations, or a niche skill-set; or you need a new long-term staff member in your home office or a project office, Head Global focuses on finding the right fit based on your unique needs. We screen consultants and job seekers based on both their experience and cultural fit. We strive to not only meet your short- or long-term hiring need, but wow you.
Check out our website at www.headgloballlc.com