EnCompass LLC is currently seeking a Distance Learning Specialist to support training and development for USAID’s Center of Excellence on Democracy, Human Rights and Governance (DRG Center) at the Bureau for Democracy, Conflict and Humanitarian Assistance (DCHA). The Distance Learning Specialist will provide innovative approaches to lead efforts in distance and blended learning design and delivery. The Distance Learning Specialist works as an integral part of a collaborative design team to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate training courses and organizational development activities. S/he contributes best practices in instructional design and the use of educational technologies, including course platforms, e-learning courses, videos, virtual Instructor-Led training (vILT), MOOCs and other learning products, with a focus on incorporating a variety of media and learning methods to create an effective learning environment. This full-time position is located at the EnCompass headquarters in Rockville, MD and will report to the Team Leader.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Designs distance and blended learning courses, using creative, innovative and evidence-based approaches.
o Develops dynamic, experiential virtual learning session designs including macro designs, micro designs and training and producer scripts.
o Works with subject-matter experts to develop distance learning programs.
o Works with clients to conduct learning assessments including research, document reviews, telephone interviews, and focus groups.
o Develops storyboards for e-tools, e-learning courses, and videos.
o Designs and develops videos, animations, and e-games.
o Designs and delivers virtual Instructor-Led Training sessions.
- Facilitates virtual learning events.
- Contributes expertise and innovative approaches.
o Brings leading-edge thinking, methodologies and approaches to integrate distance learning applications into trainings and convenings
- Responds to on-demand requests that focus on curriculum development and the the use of technology
- Engages fully as a member of the project team and larger EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other events, and providing support to other team members as needed.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Education, Curriculum Design, Organizational Development, Communication, Instructional Design, International Development or other related fields. Masters preferred
- Minimum of five years’ experience designing and delivering distance learning activities and programs for international audiences
Experience and Skills
- Experience in instructional design with a focus on blended and distance learning.
- Experience in e-learning design and development, multimedia production, graphic design, LMS administration, vILT (webinar) production, and virtual facilitation.
- Experience designing, delivering or facilitating learning programs at USAID and knowledge of distance learning platforms USAID uses.
- Experience in the field of international development and, in particular in democracy, rights and governance, and in working in cross-cultural environments.
- Knowledge of the principles of learning including adult learning, experiential learning, participatory methods, instructional design, Appreciative Inquiry, and whole systems design
- Strong planning, organization, critical and strategic thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record of managing complex training design projects.
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills with a dynamic, engaging facilitation style.
- Adept at identifying and framing problems, setting priorities, and making critical assessments.
- Proven ability to bring about change and manage processes.
- Proven ability to understand the needs of an organization and identify creative solutions. Committed to providing the highest level of service.
- Able to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects, and communicate results.
- Articulate Storyline 2 and/or Adobe Captivate
- Adobe Premiere and/or Final Cut Pro
- Adobe Connect, Cisco WebEx and/or Zoom
- InDesign, Photoshop, and MS Suite
- Audacity, Adobe Audition and/or Logic Pro
- Cross Knowledge, Moodle and/or Cornerstone
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass LLC is a women-owned small business that offers innovative solutions for organizational excellence. We seek to enhance the impact and capacity of government and multilateral agencies, corporations, and nonprofits around the world through customized services in organizational and leadership development, training, technical assistance, and evaluation. EnCompass has a global and multicultural team of staff and consultants with deep expertise in a range of issues including health, HIV/AIDS, gender, democracy and governance, education, human rights, agriculture and food security.