Electrical Engineer, Benin II Off-Grid Electricity Access Evaluation, Benin
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits.
SI is planning to bid on an evaluation of the MCC Benin II Off-Grid Electricity Access Evaluation. The Off-Grid Electricity Access Project (OGEAP) ($46 million), with the objective of increasing access to electricity and thereby (A) increasing the hours of operation for businesses and public and social services, (B) reducing reliance on costlier sources of energy, (C) reducing losses of products and perishable goods, and (D) improving productivity for users of electricity. It is comprised of the Enabling Environment for Off-Grid Electricity and Off-Grid Clean Energy Facility (OCEF) activities.The period of performance for this evaluation is 8 months, plus 46 option months.
SI is seeking an Electrical Engineer for the Benin II Off-Grid Electricity Access Evaluation. The Electrical Engineer will provide technical expertise for all aspects of off-grid electricity access. This position will be based in Benin.
- Provide technical assessment of off-grid electricity project for overall evaluation of the program.
- Play a role in the design of the evaluation, ensuring that the design reflects best practices in the design of electricity related projects.
- Play a role in the metering aspects of the evaluation design.
- Educate other evaluation team members on the energy sector.
- Participate in client and stakeholder communication, presentations, and interfacing with program implementers.
- A university degree in science or engineering with an Off-Grid specialization
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
- Technical knowledge in energy systems, preferably involving solar PV, batteries & diesel as well as reticulation systems
- Hands-on experience with electrical power systems or similar technical field required
- Experience managing contractors and working with external parties
- Ability to identify a problem and define adequate solutions independently
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary, international team in multiple locations
- Work experience in French Speaking Sub-Saharan Africa countries preferred
- Experience in coordinating with developing country government, ministries and/or local NGOs for the design and implementation of evaluations, including problem solving as needed.
- Familiarity with international donor regulations, specifically USG funded programs highly preferred.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, within the context of a larger team.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French highly preferred.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.