Consultancy Scope of Work
Position: Entomology Technical Consultant
Location: Angola (various locations)
Expected travel: Frequently between provinces
Expected Duration: 120 days between September 2020 and April, 2021
Abt Associates is a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, that serves as the prime contractor for the USAID-funded PMI VectorLink Project. This global project supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria.
In the last year, VectorLink closely collaborated with the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) and other local stakeholders in Angola to revive entomological monitoring activities in two provinces. Over the next several months, the project will continue to work closely with the NMCP) and other in-country stakeholders to expand the scope of the program, which will entail preparing for and implementing a cross-sectional entomological survey including collection of wild malaria vector species for insecticide susceptibility testing in seven select provinces. Susceptibility tests include standard WHO tube tests to determine susceptibility status to insecticides used for vector control as well as PBO synergist tests, pyrethroid resistance intensity assays and susceptibility tests with new chemicals such as chlorfenapyr. In addition, monthly community-based entomological surveillance will be established in sentinel sites in Luanda and Huambo provinces using indoor CDC light traps. Preparatory activities include: (1) conducting central-level training of project entomological technicians and NMCP entomologists with focus on insecticide resistance testing and community-based entomology surveillance (2) conduct provincial level training of mosquito brigade technicians in insecticide resistance testing.
The VectorLink Angola team is seeking a part-time consultant to be located in Angola and serve as an Entomology Technical Consultant and be a point-of-contact for the technical team. The consultancy will consist of 2-3 short-term technical assistance (STTA) visits (totaling 120 days) to Angola, timed to provide support to the in-country team during implementation of key activities including leading training on insecticide susceptibility tests & community-based entomology surveillance and providing supervision during collection of field data.
The Entomology Technical Consultant will be instrumental in carrying out the necessary steps on key activities including but not limited to:
- Cooperate with PSI/Angola Finance and Operations team to gather necessary supporting documentation for trainings/workshops, local procurements, etc.
- Serve as additional point of contact for PMI-supported entomological activities in Angola in close collaboration with PSI Angola country representative
- As needed, act as PMI liaison between NMCP and other entomological stakeholders with in-country PMI team and HQ (CDC/USAID)
- Help coordinate and lead local capacity building activities including facilitation of logistics for training implementation
- Lead the implementation and monitoring of insecticide susceptibility testing of An. gambiae s.l. and An. funestus s.l. in selected provinces
- Establish a system for community-based entomological surveillance in Luanda & Huambo provinces
- Ensure quality of data collected and provide quality assurance checks during data recording and entry
- Work with local partners to establish national insectaries for rearing a susceptible colony and field collected malaria vectors
- Identify problematic areas with local implementation and solicit advice from VectorLink Angola for prompt resolution
- Maintain regular contact with VectorLink Angola team to report status of activities
Expectations and Deliverables
- Complete preparatory steps required for central-level and provincial entomological training.
- Monthly activity reports submitted to VectorLink Angola team
- Conference calls with Entomologist focal point and in-country team (frequency based on agreed upon need)
- Frequent travel to selected provinces
- Master’s degree or equivalent in entomology; PhD in entomology (preferred)
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in entomology
- Several years’ of experience conducting mosquito insecticide susceptibility testing
- Experience working in Angola on entomological monitoring activities, knowledge of processes/procedures and systems involved; experience collaborating/liaising with the NMCP and other key stakeholders to accomplish activity goals
- Demonstrated management skills and strong organization and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and effectively manage multiple priorities that are subject to change in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Strong written and oral communications skills and enhanced interpersonal relationship skills
- Fluent in Portuguese or Spanish, and English
- Master’s Degree with 5+ years OR PhD with 5+ years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Interested and qualified applicants:
Please send your CV and availability to Kelley Ambrose (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 15 June 2020.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.