Are you passionate about driving programs focused on foreign assistance? Do you want to be part of an organization that offers meaningful assignments and opportunities to enhance your skills and expertise? At DPS, you will experience a corporate culture of collaboration, equality, and trust. You will be given the means and mentorship needed to succeed, and your creativity will be rewarded. Join a growing, dynamic company as we continue to expand our portfolio.
The TechGirls Program is an international summer exchange program that is based in the Washington D.C. area and is designed to empower and inspire young women from the Middle East, North Africa (MENA) to pursue higher education and careers in the science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields through hands-on skills development training with American technologists. Since 2012, TechGirls has trained and mentored 239 teenage girls (ages 15-17) from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, Yemen, and the United States. The centerpiece of the program is a two-week program in the U.S. that provides participants with an in-depth examination of technology-related topics. The camp is complemented by additional activities such as site visits to technology companies, leadership clinics, community service opportunities, job shadowing, action planning workshops, cultural events, and weekend homestays with American families. As part of program follow-on, the participants implement at least one peer training program or service project within their schools and/or communities. TechGirls alumnae also have had opportunities to help create, develop, and participate in TechWomen-TechGirls Clubs in their home countries, an initiative aimed at creating mentorships and building stronger networks between TechWomen and TechGirls alumnae.
The U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) has contracted Dexis Consulting Group (Dexis) to carry out an evaluation of the TechGirls Program. The purpose of this evaluation is to determine how successful TechGirls is in meeting program aims. This evaluation will assess the strength and sustainability of professional and educational networks created by the program, the extent these networks have been leveraged for collaborations to enact change, and the impact of the program on educational trajectories and professions. The evaluation will provide evidence to inform programmatic decision-making to the ECA program team, who will be the primary user of the evaluation results, to inform the design, implementation, and improvement of TechGirls.
Dexis is seeking local consultants to collect data through online, phone, and in-person (as permitted) surveys, interviews, and key informant interviews in Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestinian Territories, Tunisia, and Yemen. Audiences for data collection include, but are not limited to, TechGirls/TechWomen alumnae, STEM experts, and community stakeholders.
This consultancy is expected to require approximately 100-150 hours of effort over 10-12 weeks (estimated September – November 2020). Final level of effort and exact period of performance will be determined upon hire. Dexis anticipates contracting one consultant per country (listed above).
- Participate in instrument pre-testing and required training on data collection instruments.
- Assist with clarifying and fine-tuning translations of data collection instruments to ensure applicability to the local context.
- Collect all data as directed and in accordance with Dexis’ established instruments and procedures, including obtaining informed consent from participants.
- Obtain and document parental consent for data collection from minors (under 18 years of age).
- Ensure data is complete and clean (to the extent possible) and in the format/template requested by Dexis.
- Share all collected data and related notes/reports on a daily basis, as directed by Dexis.
- Facilitate one or two focus group discussions (in-person or, if restrictions on gathering are in place, virtually), as requested, including recording focus group discussions and taking notes.
- Identify at least three STEM experts from academia, business, or government within your country; submit names and brief background of potential experts to Dexis for approval; and conduct an interview by phone or in person (approx. 30 minutes) with each approved expert.
- Obtain contact information for other community stakeholders (principals, teachers, mentors, etc.) identified by the alumnae and conduct interviews by phone or in person with at least two stakeholders (approx. 30 minutes), as requested.
- Conduct up to 45 surveys by phone or mobile devices, as requested.
- Safeguard all contact information shared for data collection purposes.
- Share travel documentation and follow all travel procedures as outlined in Dexis’ travel policy.
- Participate in regular check-in calls during fieldwork and communicate proactively with the Dexis Team Leader, Evaluation Specialist, and Research/Project Associate as needed and as requested.
- At least 5 years of experience conducting data collection through in-person, phone, and virtual surveys, focus group discussions, and interviews.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Familiarity with international cultural exchange programs.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically (approved travel costs will be reimbursed by Dexis).
- Experience working with youth participants (preferred).
- Familiarity with the STEM sector(preferred).
About the Organization
Are you looking for a company that offers meaningful program assignments and opportunities to develop professional skills and expertise? At Dexis, staff are empowered to be part of the decision-making process and collaborate with colleagues and management across the company to satisfy our clients. We create transparency in our operations with our clients and employees; and we offer our people opportunities to grow and challenge themselves in meaningful ways. Dexis follows a "find a way or make a way" business directive, and we’re paving the way for innovative management solutions in the global development and security assistance arenas worldwide. As a Dexis employee you will be challenged, empowered, and mentored. That’s how Dexis goes "all in.” How will you?
If you are passionate about this opportunity, submit your application by clicking the apply for this job online button.
Only those applicants who meet the above criteria will be contacted for interview.
Dexis is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental handicap, or status as a disabled or Vietnam Era veteran of the US Armed Forces.