The U.S. Agency for International Development’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (USAID/BHA) is the lead Bureau for coordinating the United States Government’s
(USG) response to disasters and humanitarian assistance needs worldwide. Through extensive consultations with thought leaders (i.e. executives and senior international field leaders) in the humanitarian community, USAID/BHA has identified the need for enhanced leadership skills and commitment to common purpose that will result in collective action by cross-organizational leadership teams. The international community has also placed an emphasis on leadership as a key tenant of success in responding to crises that are increasingly complex and protracted.
Thus, the Global Executive Leadership Initiative (GELI) is being developed to challenge senior international field leaders from across international non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the United Nations, and the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement to maximize their leadership excellence and lead more collaboratively, while simultaneously ensuring a larger number of senior field leaders respond to complex crises, contribute to wider system change, and improve performance that saves lives of crisis affected people.
One track of the GELI is a 12-month, cohort-based program. During the 12-month program, a cohort will attend three (3) residencies. These residencies will be complemented by individual assessments, executive coaching and other learning opportunities. In between residencies, participants will have remote access to executive coaching, virtual sessions led by live speakers, podcasts, articles and other learning resources. Following the 12-month cohort delivery, participants will have the option to continue with 6 months of executive leadership coaching. It is envisioned that alumni of the program will contribute to a leadership network across the international system.
The KonTerra Group has been selected as the prime contractor for the GELI.
The KonTerra Group is hiring an Instructional Designer with facilitation experience to help plan, design and develop facilitation methodologies and curricula for the in-person and intersession components for the GELI.
The position is full-time and based in downtown DC. Remote work will also be considered and is the standard during COVID.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
● Works closely with the Program Manager and the Senior Facilitator and Instructional Designer to ensure that all program activities are performed and completed in accordance with contract deliverables.
● Contributes to the overall strategic design of the residencies, intersession curricula, Leadership Innovation Lab, and Leadership Conference.
● Contributes to the GELI-managed process for developing strategic training directions and facilitation methodologies and plans.
● Supports the synthesis of individual modules into a coherent, meaningful experience for GELI participants.
● Designs and develops adult training and workshop curricula, including the development of instructor manuals, participant guides, and multimedia materials in support of training.
● Works with leadership experts and GELI-identified operational experts to plan, design, and develop training methodology and materials. Supports external subject matter experts in co-creating and delivering sessions that follow an 80/20 model (80% activity- based, 20% lecture).
● Edits, updates, and revises modules according to feedback provided by GELI team.
● Contributes to monitoring and evaluation of program outcomes and participant progress.
● Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience
● Candidate must possess at minimum a Bachelor’s Degree in social services, education, instructional design, leadership, organizational development or related field. Master’s Degree is preferred.
● Extensive knowledge and skill in applying the theories, principles, methods, and practices of instructional design, curriculum development, assessment and adult learning theory for the purpose of creating, delivering and maintaining effective training programs, using a wide variety of methodological approaches
● Proven experience identifying and developing the most effective approaches, tools, techniques, and processes for designing and managing courses, programs and curricula of varying scales and durations, for a wide variety of subject matter
● Proven experience in developing policies and processes to support curriculum development and maintenance
● Extensive knowledge of the training profession and experience developing tools and techniques to aid trainers to use best practices in course design, development and maintenance
● Extensive experience in developing leadership development programs.
● Knowledge and experience in the design and facilitation of both small- and large-group work sessions and in leading-edge approaches to this work.
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders to achieve programmatic results.
● Additional relevant experience in working with humanitarian/development organizations is highly desirable.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Positive attitude and ability to work with others constructively in dynamic, fast-moving contexts.
This position is a GS-12/13 equivalent. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Please submit resume and cover letter with the title “Instructional Designer GELI” in the subject line.
About the Organization
The KonTerra Group – Who Are We?
The KonTerra Group exists to support the health and effectiveness of organizations and their people. With a focus on supporting organizations working in challenging environments, we develop solutions that sharpen clarity, strengthen resilience and incorporate learning.
The KonTerra Group is a leading provider of resilience and staff support services to the international humanitarian and development community and other high stress/high risk occupations. It is comprised of experienced, seasoned professionals who are passionate about what we do and serving our clients.
We provide a variety of individual, managerial and organizational services to the employees of our client organizations including:
● Confidential, individual short-term counseling
● Resilience assessments
● Confidential pre- and post-assignment consultations
● Training and psychoeducation
● Critical incident management services
● Organizational assessments
● Executive/leadership coaching
● Career coaching
● Team strengthening
● Organizational resilience support
Our clients include governmental and United Nations agencies, non-governmental organizations and private sector development actors. We provide support to both headquarters and field locations around the world. We have a small, but growing, clientele in the technology and health care sectors.