EnCompass LLC seeks a Learning Specialist II to design, develop, deliver, and evaluate learning courses, activities, and events. The Learning Specialist II will provide innovative approaches in instructional design for courses featuring all elements of blended learning: experiential, participatory in-person courses, engaging virtual instructor-led training (vILT), e-learning courses, instructional videos, job aids, action learning, and potentially, shadowing/mentoring/coaching/peer coaching elements. Successful candidates will design learning experiences with a focus on incorporating a variety of learning methods and the creation of an effective learning environment.
Successful candidates will work as part of an appreciative, collaborative team to design, develop, deliver, and/or evaluate courses for the U.S. government on management, soft skills, and international development topics.
There is a preference for someone to reside in the D.C. area for this position but we are open to a remote hire with occasional travel to D.C, given the right candidate.
NOTE: This position is expected to be remote until at least the 1 April 2021, due to COVID-19.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Work with subject-matter experts to define learning objectives, select content, and support creation of evaluation measures
- Develop dynamic, experiential learning session designs for face-to-face and virtual training including blended learning architectures, macro designs/outlines based on client content, micro designs or facilitator and participant guides, and trainer scripts and slides
- Develop scripts for e-learning, LMS platform-based modules, and instructional or explainer videos/animations, and work with an animator in designing the visual imagery to support these
- Facilitate face-to-face workshops and virtual instructor-led training (vILT) sessions
- Conduct training for various clients including but not limited to U.S. government and UN agencies
- Contribute expertise and innovative approaches; bring leading-edge thinking, methodologies and approaches to training, learning and leadership development programs
- Manage learning activities
- Manage activities from design to implementation, including scope, budget, timeline, and quality assurance for assigned training activities
- Manage consultants working to develop training sessions or programs, ensuring that they remain on budget and on time in delivering expected materials
- Commission and manage additional internal or external resources as required in order to ensure cost-effective delivery of development initiatives
- Effectively communicate training project deliverables to clients, team members, and other stakeholders in a clear and concise manner
- Contribute to learning evaluations, using Kirkpatrick Levels 1, 2, and 3
- May supervise and/or mentor staff
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree & 6+ Years’ Experience; or Master’s Degree & 4+ Years’ Experience; or PHD & 2 Years’ Experience.
- Degree in Curriculum Design, Organizational Development, Instructional Design, International Development or other related fields.
Experience and Skills
- Extensive experience in designing and facilitating interactive learning experiences and designing curricula based on experiential, adult-centered learning, using blended learning and innovative technologies
- Experience in instructional design with a focus on blended learning for in-person and virtual learning
- Knowledge of learning principles including adult learning, learning styles theory, participatory methods, instructional design, Appreciative Inquiry, whole systems thinking, and related topics
- Experience in designing storyboards for e-learning, LMS platforms, videos, and animations
- Knowledge of graphics, layout, and Word stylesheets (desired)
- Experience in face-to-face facilitation of participatory sessions
- Exceptional presentation, communication (verbal and written), and facilitation skills
- Strong planning, organization, critical and strategic thinking and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills with a dynamic, engaging facilitation style
- Experience in designing and delivering learning activities for U.S. government and/or UN agencies.(Desired)
- Experience in the field of international development, working in cross-cultural environments
- Commitment to providing the highest level of service
- Adept at identifying and framing problems, setting priorities, and making critical assessments
- Ability to work in an environment committed to appreciative, strengths-based approaches
- Able to confidently engage with staff at all levels to define needs and expectations, collaborate on projects, and communicate results
- Experience in learning evaluation a plus
- Fluency in language(s) other than English and experience working or living overseas preferable
- Ability to travel, including internationally, may be required for some assignments
How to Apply
Please submit CV, cover letter, and 2 examples of related work (e.g., course designs, final training guides, scripts for media or elearning, etc.) to the position to https://encompassworld.com/careers-and-consulting/
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.