Local Research Coordinator
USAID Nurture in Laos Midline Assessment
SI has been contracted by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to conduct an impact evaluation to test the effectiveness of USAID Nurture, a multi-sectoral intervention to reduce stunting in children throughout Laos. The impact evaluation will contribute to the evidence base in determining whether the multi-sectoral approach to reduce stunting is successful within the Laos context and what changes may be needed to improve results. The purpose of this project is to provide data and feedback to help increase the effectiveness of Activity implementation, and it is designed to answer two evaluation questions, outlined below:
- What is the effectiveness of the USAID Nurture approach in improving the nutritional status of children under two in target areas?
- To what extent did each of the individual components of the USAID Nurture approach (maternal, IYCF, and WASH) contribute to the effectiveness of the overall approach?
The Local Research Coordinator will be responsible for interacting directly with USAID Nurture implementing partner/subcontractor staff as well as with local survey research partners on technical matters when SI team members are not in the country; ensuring that data collection proceeds according to agreed-upon quality assurance standards; supporting quantitative/qualitative data collection efforts, and providing regular progress updates to the Social Impact team.
This assignment will require approximately 45 days of work, including five to six weeks of data collection in various cities across the country. Data collection is expected to begin in the month of April, after the Laos New Year, though dates are not yet final and subject to change.
**Please note: Only Laotian nationals are eligible for this position**
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the development of research tools, data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Participate in evaluation methods training and planning sessions prior to fieldwork.
- Conduct qualitative data collection, such as interviews with key stakeholders.
- Provide logistical planning and guidance as needed to schedule key interviews.
- Contribute to preliminary data analysis and note synthesis. Data will be in the form of qualitative notes, transcripts, and law enforcement/government records;
- Contribute to developing and drafting documents and reports;
- Present to, communicate, and interface with client, IP staff, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, with strong preference for degree relevant to public health, social services, public policy, international development, or other related field.
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience practicing or conducting research in health, social services, public policy, international development, or other related field.
- Strong familiarity with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, especially in coordinating logistics, interview schedules, survey administration, and ensuring data quality.
- Demonstrated ability to take detailed notes and draft field report in English
- Monitoring and/or evaluation experience related to health preferred
- Fluency in English and Lao required, with any experience in translation from Lao to English preferred.
- Knowledge of public health issues in Laos, especially related to nutrition, WASH, and mother/child health preferred.
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website:http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.