Chemonics seeks a media officer for the £13 million U.K. Government Department for International Development’s (DFID) Pakistan Delivering Accelerated Family Planning Behaviour Change Communication (DAFPAK BCC) programme. DAFPAK BBC seeks to target barriers to using modern family-planning methods. The programme will comprise a multi-channel, multi-message, tailored approach to change attitudes and behaviours, targeting a broad range of stakeholders and incorporating cost-effective strategies such as the use of positive deviance. The specific approaches will be informed by research funded early in the programme’s implementation. Messages will be integrated into all opportunities for face-to-face communication at the household and community level to overcome remaining individual-level and community-wide barriers where there is unmet need. These messages will address acceptability and desired fertility, myths and misconceptions, health concerns, the influence of mothers-in-law and husbands, and spousal communication, as well as access barriers through knowledge of service availability. The media officer will provide expertise and leadership in mass media, including social media. In coordination with the communications specialist, the IT/digital specialist, and DAFPAK-selected local media houses and journalism networks, the media officer will lead efforts related to the use of mass and social media to increase family planning awareness, influence change in norms that limit use of family planning, support government use, and scale up the approach under an integrated, multi-component family-planning demand generation programme. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Leads the selection and management of all mass-media and social-media local vendors, including performing quality control on deliverables
- Coordinates and responds with other stakeholders and DAFPAK implementers to respond to SBCC requests and research-related needs
- Works with the team leader and other team members to develop a media strategy that is responsive to identified needs and tailored to the target audiences (for example, groups with the highest unmet family-planning needs) and continually integrated feedback to refine strategy
- Support the team in continual research of innovative approaches to ensure broad reach of programmatic interventions
- Participate in team planning to design and implement a programme communication strategy
- Participate in data collection/analysis as required, (i.e., key informant and group interviews with government departments, project beneficiaries, and community members)
- Support the design and implementation of community outreach tools
- Support the team leader in writing reports and briefing papers
- Bachelor’s degree in a field such as journalism, strategic communications, public health, or social science; advanced degree (preferably a master’s degree) preferred
- At least five years of professional experience related to communication and media
- Demonstrated ability to analyse communication methods and strategies on a national level, including mass media, social marketing, interpersonal communication, and digital and print media
- Experience considering and applying principles of resilience and community engagement programmes strongly preferred
- Fluency in qualitative research methods and monitoring and evaluation for media products
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to work on socially sensitive challenges within the Pakistani context
- Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a range of stakeholders, including programme partners, donors, private sector organisations, NGOs, and government departments
- Excellent communication skills including in presentation, facilitation, and report writing; samples of written work may be requested
- Work experience across Pakistan preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent written and spoken English; Punjabi or Pashto preferred
Please submit applications to the following form: https://bit.ly/2L77Y6T. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.