MNH Technical Specialist for the Developmental Evaluation (DE) for USAID Jalin Project in Indonesia
USAID is conducting a DE of its flagship maternal and newborn health activity in Indonesia (Jalin). The DE is implemented by Social Impact, Inc. and intends to promote continuous learning and adaptive management to help USAID/Indonesia and its implementing partners to achieve USAID Jalin’s objectives.
DE is an approach to evaluation that supports continuous adaptation. The evaluation team is embedded within the activity to contribute to modifications in program design and to document the decision-making process. Deploying various data collection activities and methods on an as-needed basis, the team enables real-time, evidence-based reflection and decision-making consistent with a Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptation (CLA) approach.
Jalin is USAID/Indonesia’s flagship maternal and newborn health (MNH) activity. It contributes to the national goals to reduce maternal and newborn mortality by providing catalytic support to improve essential MNH services targeting the poorest and most vulnerable. USAID Jalin’s approach of continually refining and iterating its work throughout implementation makes it a perfect fit to be supported by a DE.
The DE of USAID Jalin aims to present findings and recommendations to USAID/Indonesia to generate lessons learned and options for rapid course corrections. The DE provides continuous feedback to USAID’s partners and stakeholders to generate learning and support timely adaptive management by:
- Assessing USAID Jalin’s core operating principles and technical areas
- Gauging project management, relationships between stakeholders and partnerships
- Monitoring the operating environment for MNH in Indonesia
- Delivering timely and actionable recommendations to improve project management
The DE of USAID Jalin prioritizes flexibility and innovation based on emerging needs rather than a preset methodology or set of tools. Methods and analyses may include interviews, desk reviews, focus groups, rapid surveys, network analysis and collaboration mapping, context analysis, process tracing, appreciative inquiry, and other approaches based on USAID/Indonesia’s information needs. The DE is designed to adapt its approach as needs change.
The MNH Technical Specialist is responsible for providing MNH technical support to the DE. S/he will work in close coordination with the DE Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and other staff to ensure effective implementation of DE Jalin goals and an innovative evaluation of USAID Jalin. S/he will play a vital role in providing technical expertise for and technical input related to maternal and newborn health evaluation and how it relates to the overall health system particularly of how local government supports the implementation of maternal and newborn health local level. S/he will work with other DE technical team in overseeing and quality controlling the development of evaluation plans and will ensure all relevant and updated MNH information are gathered and included in the evaluation process and contribute to answering the evaluation questions, report, and expected results.
**Please note: This is a local position. Only candidates with Indonesian citizenship will be considered.**
- Provide senior level expertise and guidance regarding MNH issues and priorities, with special focus on the links between maternal, fetal, and newborn health in Indonesia.
- Provide technical guidance to evaluate the progress and reinforce learning and adaptive management for USAID Jalin.
- Contribute to the regular assessment of activities and local solutions designed to reduce maternal and neonatal mortality.
- Provide technical analysis and recommendations on how Jalin can improve MNH quality of care in public and private, and primary and secondary facilities, at scale.
- Provide technical analysis and recommendations on how Jalin can improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the emergency referral system at community and facility levels.
- Assist other DE researchers to coordinator in preparing for fieldwork.
- Oversee quantitative and qualitative data collection, provide quality assurance, and conduct random back checks of data collected.
- Assist in obtaining secondary data, sampling frames, and other information required by the evaluation.
- Make, coordinate and confirm appointments for meetings, interviews, focus groups, etc. and serve as a liaison with relevant stakeholders.
- Maintain regular communication with the SI DE and SI HQ management team.
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
- Medical doctor or MPH.
- Five to ten years of responsible, professional level experience in design implementation and monitoring of maternal and new-born health interventions.
- Experience of working with government system
- Kn owledgeable about the Indonesian health system
- Strong knowledge and understanding in health services at national and sub national level, how it is governed and implemented are essential
- Proven high-level expertise in maternal and child health issues.
- Proven expertise in MNH standards and policies in Indonesia.
- Demonstrated success conducting high-quality evaluations of health programs for international agencies/donors in Indonesia
- Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesian
- Excellent writing skills in English
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
SI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
About the Organization
Social Impact is a global development management consulting firm. We provide monitoring, evaluation, strategic planning, and capacity building services to advance development effectiveness. We work across all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. Since 1997 we have worked in over 100 countries for clients such as US government agencies, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and nonprofits.