The National Research Consultants will conduct research that informs the current status and implementation of Digital Data Governance in ASEAN Member States, with an interest in its relation to ASEAN Single Windows (ASW)/National Single Windows (NSWs).
This position is part of the ASEAN Policy Implementation (API) Project. The project aims to accelerate implementation of key ASEAN policy agreements at the national level to advance economic prosperity and rules-based governance in the Indo-Pacific region. USAID, through the API project, works toward:
· Identifying concrete needs and opportunities to advance the implementation of targeted ASEAN policies at the national level.
· Providing technical assistance to ASEAN Member States to strengthen the implementation of targeted ASEAN Policies.
Location: One of the following: Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, and Vietnam.
Reports To: The STTA will be supervised by the Research Manager in coordination with the Program Manager under the guidance of the Chief of Party.
· Conduct a desk review of the implementation status of the ASEAN Framework on Digital Data Governance with regards to data classification and restrictions to cross border data flows, if any and investigate further the ASEAN Single Window (ASW) and the National Single Window (NSW) digital data governance structure
· Identify relevant stakeholders and create a stakeholder map to seek an understanding on the concrete needs and opportunities under the ASEAN Framework on Digital Data Governance
· Develop a list of recommendations based on the findings to address the needs and challenges of data governance, focusing on free cross-border data flow mechanism, information security (including data protection and data privacy), and digital signature (Certificate of Authority), especially in the e-commerce sector as well as the digital payment industry.
· Update the Digital Integration Framework Action Plan (DIFAP) Matrix provided by the project team
· Identify a list of projects supporting the implementation of the ASEAN Single Window and ASEAN Digital Data Governance
· Desk research on new ASEAN agreements, outcomes of ASEAN meetings, the progress of implementation of ASEAN policy/agreements, if relevant
· Other duties as assigned.
· Report on the status of implementation of the ASEAN Framework on Digital Data Governance. This includes the latest progress of implementation on the ASW and NSW.
· Stakeholder map on Digital Data Governance ecosystem
· Recommendations to address needs and challenges of digital data governance in the country, including in relation to ASW and National Single Window
· Update and complete country matrix on DIFAP
· List of projects supporting the implementation of the digital data governance and National Single Window.
· Master’s degree in fields of economics, international trade, international political economy or related fields, PhD preferred. (Bachelor’s degree may be acceptable with higher levels of work experience)
Minimum 5 years of related work experience
Economic Growth background, especially in areas covered by the AEC Blueprint 2025. Preference with understanding of the ASEAN Single Window and/or Digital Data Governance
Familiarity with ASEAN regional integration efforts with technical expertise in the subject matter will also be considered
Native speaker & writer of local language
· Excellent written and spoken English
· Intermediate to Advanced MS Office/Word skills.
· Experience working with a national university, think-tank or other research institution, on issues related to economic growth and governance
· Understanding of USAID’s Indo Pacific Strategy and familiarity with bi-lateral missions in ASEAN Member States (AMS).