The UK MOD have partnered with UNOPS for the provision of specific support services to their troops, who are deployed in locations in northern South Sudan. To this end, in Malakal and Bentiu, Facility Managers (FM’s) manage those elements of the Project Management Team (PMT) located there, while the remainder of the PMT is based in Juba supporting the teams in the field – ensuring the timely delivery of services and goods to required quality standards, as required by the UK MOD for the British Military.
Services are required to be delivered on a 24/7/365 basis and monitored and resupplied throughout, which currently is largely only possible by air logistics. UNOPS’ client requires services to be delivered to global quality standards and managed by a dedicated team to ensure continuity of service and to produce quality outputs.
Reporting to, and with the support of, the incumbent Project Manager (PM), the Operations Officer (OO) will be based in Juba, working closely with the Project Support Officer (PSO) and Logistics team members - to support the FM’s and their teams in the field. The OO will periodically be expected make operational trips to the forward locations. The OO will report to the PM, who will provide broad supervision and guidance - while entrusting the OO the autonomy to deliver successful outputs while working closely with the Logistics team and PSO.
The role is primarily focused upon the coordination, accounting, transportation and provision of the project’s operational support, goods and services, as relates to supporting the teams in the field. The OO will daily be involved in identifying probable issues that require solutions, supporting/leading the problem solving analysis - and driving the solutions identified, on an as necessary basis. The role can often require the appointee to work in complex and challenging environments with limited resources.
The Operations Officer will be based in Juba and reports to the Project Manager who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for assisting in provision of all project operations related to supporting project personnel, transport and storage of project equipment and supplies in South Sudan. He/she identifies probable issues that may need attention, supports in problem analysis and solution identification as necessary, coordinate resolution as per action-items assigned. The role can often be required to work in complex and challenging environments with limited resources.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions
- Administrative and operations support to project personnel in the field offices;
- Ensure transport, storage, accountability and maintenance of equipment, materials and supplies;
- Effective support to general project activities;
- Stakeholder management, coordination and liaison;
- Support in facilitation of knowledge building, sharing and management.
Impact of Results
The key results of this position will have an impact on the overall efficiency of UNOPS in managing project operations and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to operations management, effective and efficient project operations support, and timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and overall effective delivery of UNOPS programs and projects.
Please visit the online vacancy for more information and to apply: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=16802
Requirements and qualifications
- Advanced University Degree (Masters) in International relations or Communication or Social Sciences or Business Administration or Logistics or Operations Management or Public Administration or related field.
- A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree) in a related field with an additional 2 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Certificate in Prince 2 Foundation is an asset.
- A Minimum 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing Administration and/or Logistics and/or Operations and/or Communication is required;
- Previous experience with UN is an asset;
- Experience in a post conflict and/or conflict situations is an advantage;
- Knowledge of UN/UNOPS financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures is an advantage;
- Skill in administration support is required.
- Fluency in speaking, writing and reading English is required;
- Fluency in another UN languages is an advantage.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peace-building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.