EDC has an exciting opportunity for a Portfolio Director, reporting to the Senior Vice President of the U.S. Division. The Portfolio Director will oversee a portfolio of $10M in annual revenue and close to 50 staff.
The Director will join at a pivotal time for EDC, leading the co-creation of an enhanced strategy focused on leveraging the deep expertise of the portfolio to drive increased external visibility and a robust funding pipeline. This role offers a great opportunity for an experienced leader who can bring a different and innovative approach to our established portfolio management and business development practices. The Director will be a member of the US Division leadership team and will have overall responsibility for the programmatic, financial, and administrative success of the Portfolio
The expertise of this education-focused portfolio includes evaluation, research, and technical assistance for education programs and policies that promote success for learners from pre-K through post-secondary. The work of this portfolio includes federally funded Regional Educational Laboratories that support state and district leaders as well as foundation, federal and state grants and contracts to conduct research and evaluation studies across a diverse range of formal and informal education topics.
As part of this strategy, the Director will:
- Develop and execute an ambitious business development strategy that builds on and expands EDC’s work in improving schools and educational systems
- Build external relationships for future collaborations, including new business opportunities
- Ensure high quality execution of projects and deliverables
A successful Director will understand the research, evaluation, and technical assistance landscape of federal and state education initiatives as well as collaborations led by the philanthropic and private sectors. S/he will be able to identify trends, opportunities, and connections in k-12 education that can inform and enhance strategic initiatives. The Director will have an established network in the field and a proven track record of strong leadership and effective management.
- Work with staff across the organization to design and execute a strategic approach to EDC’s next generation of education research and evaluation initiatives with the goal of enhancing EDC’s reputation and visibility with potential partners and funders
- Collaborate across the U.S. Division and with EDC’s International Development Division to identify opportunites for collaboration
- Evaluate business development opportunities for scalability, risk and cross functional applications
- Provide strategic insight and recommendations to EDC Leadership and the Board of Directors on opportunities and challenges of the portfolio’s BD and visibility efforts
- Programmatic, financial, and administrative management of the portfolio, including direct supervision of senior staff
- Demonstrated skills in leadership, client relations, business development and contract management
- Proven experience managing and developing a large team dispersed across multiple offices and locations
- Skilled at promoting and leveraging business, client, and funder relationships
- High level of initiative, creativity, and flexibility
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Commitment to equity and diversity, promoting strong ethics and ensuring fair and equitable treatment of staff and partners
- Travel to other EDC offices and funders on a regular basis
- Master’s degree or equivalent combination of training and experience
- 15+ years related experience, with minimum of 10 years in business development and project management,inclusive of budget responsibility and grants and contracts management
- Established reputation in field of expertise
EDC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.