Principal Consultant - Health
We have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a senior consultant to join us as a Principal Consultant in our heath sector. The role will be based in or international office in Delhi. We are looking for a driven and enthusiastic candidate, with a weatlh of experience in public health systems and service delivery.
Purpose/Key Objectives of the Job
The role exists as a senior technical role to:
- Provide technical direction and leadership to key health (and related projects) in India focused on research, learning, monitoring and evaluation on the strengthening of public health systems, to ensure their successful delivery
- Amplify OPM’s project work through thought leadership, cross project synthesis learning and external representation of OPM
- Support the acquisition of new work through leading bids and developing client relationships
- Support the professional development of junior and mid-level staff in the office
- Technical lead on projects, including:
- Co-create and ideate projects with clients
- Setting overall technical and conceptual direction and methods; develop new and innovative approaches
- Ensuring quality and impact to OPM standards
- Client interface and management to ensure client satisfaction
- Developing and disseminating knowledge management products
- External representation of OPM at conferences, seminars etc
- Creation of synthesis learning and ensuring its impact on projects and through external dissemination
- Providing mentoring and professional development support to others in the office
- Provide support to the Country Manager on strategy, recruitment and people management as requested, on an ad hoc basis
- Business development with new and ongoing clients including the development of proposals
Level of Autonomy
Full technical autonomy in bidding, setting project technical strategy, delivering projects and managing clients, within the overall OPM process framework. Will be supported by project managers on project delivery, resourcing etc.
Expected to self-define quality assurance requirements on projects
Examples of challenges and problems
- Developing innovative approaches to technical problems
- Ensuring impact through resources available from projects
- Dealing with client demands to ensure feasibility and the most appropriate approaches adopted, as well as making sure demands on staff are reasonable
- Perhaps also supporting junior staff to deliver to high standards, particularly in areas that may be new to them
- Perhaps also using diplomacy to come to agreement and build good relationships with clients and Implementers.
- Advanced degree in relevant technical domain, PhD preferred
- Sufficient experience (10 years+) to be credible internally and externally as a technical lead on large, complex projects, respected for technical and methodological expertise
- Thematic expertise in primary health care, health systems strengthening, public service delivery
- Strong contextual understanding of the India public health system
- Methodological expertise in research, analysis and M&E methods
- Proven track record of creating high quality outputs including project reports, papers and knowledge management products
- Strong client engagement skills
About the Organization
Oxford Policy Management (OPM) enables strategic decision-makers to reduce social and economic disadvantage in low- and middle-income countries through a unique combination of high-quality analysis and more than 35 years’ practical experience in over 120 countries worldwide.
Supported by a multinational team of more than 400 specialists on four continents, our success is based on a unique combination of high-quality analysis and 30 years’ practical experience of facilitating positive change in over 120 countries worldwide. OPM’s expertise, which is underpinned by a strong commitment to capacity building, ranges from social and economic policy to public finance and management, political economy analysis and statistics.
Clients range from bilateral and multilateral organisations such as DFID, UNICEF and the World Bank through to governments, NGOs and private-sector organisations.
With offices in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan, South Africa, Tanzania and the United Kingdom, we can provide our clients with rapid, local support and context-specific solutions.
If you are interested in opportunities at Oxford Policy Management, please see our careers page or email us at email@example.com
What’s it like working at OPM, and why should you join our growing global organisation? Watch this video to see what our colleagues have to say.