Chemonics seeks a program officer to support activities in Syria for the ongoing Injaz project. The program officer will provide partner community-based organizations with technical and management assistance in the implementation of technical and vocational education and training (TVET) based on labor market assessments. The program officer will be based in Berlin, Germany; will not be required to travel inside Syria; and will have a five-day workweek. The program officer will play a central role in developing and managing sub-awards with community-based organizations in full compliance with donor and Chemonics regulations and policies; develop and maintain collaborative partnerships with local sub-awardees to establish a successful TVET program; and work in coordination with many other team members, including field staff. The program officer will report to the chief of party and supervise field program advisors based in Syria. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Engage with the donor and Injaz team to identify TVET activities and partners
- Prepare sub-award documents to ensure consistency with program priorities, goals, and objectives
- Organize and facilitate kickoff meetings with sub-awardees to review sub-award agreements and regulations and requirements related to reporting; procurement; monitoring; and invoicing
- Work closely with a remote consultant to develop TVET programs to include both technical curriculums as well as management systems for community-based organizations to establish and run centers, including the recruitment of staff and beneficiaries and tracking of graduates
- Prepare drafts of relevant sections of donor reports (weekly and quarterly) and respond to time-sensitive donor requests for information
- Maintain complete and accurate hard- and soft-copy grant files using the Chemonics sub-award file checklist
- Supervise field program advisors, providing clear guidance of priority tasks; communicate with field staff on a daily basis
- Organize and facilitate periodic debrief meetings and training events with field program advisors, to be held remotely from Berlin, Germany
- Analyze the rapidly changing political environment and contribute to planning exercise, under guidance from the chief of party
- Adhere to and act in accordance with Chemonics’ professional code of ethics, making its principles part of Injaz’s culture and operating procedures and ensuring the highest levels of integrity
- High school diploma required; university degree preferred
- Knowledge of elements of vocational education practices preferred
- Strong organizational, management, and administrative skills, preferably with respect to sub-award documents, monitoring data, and report writing
- Ability to develop detailed sub-award budgets in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated ability for creative problem-solving
- Previous experience working on development, stabilization, or humanitarian programming in Syria required
- Ability to communicate effectively with low-capacity partners and provide targeted capacity building support
- Ability to operate in a fluid environment and adhere to strict Chemonics and donor regulations
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please send an email with your resume and cover letter with the position title in the subject line to RecruitmentInjaz@chemonics.com by January 15, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.