A) PROGRAM DESCRIPTION:
Leveraging our extensive experience and expertise of working with FPOs, TechnoServe is undertaking a two-year program to transform 25-30 FPOs covering 25,000 farmers in the states of Andhra Pradesh & Uttar Pradesh.
TechnoServe believes that strengthening the institutional platform of the FPOs and transforming them into viable business entities through market facilitation support will lead to the integration of SHFs with agricultural markets, thus improving their economic potential. Towards this end, the program adopts a multi-pronged approach consisting of the following components:
• Build the capacity of the FPOs to become active market players in agri-value chains.
• Improve market access and information for the SHFs across major commodities.
• Facilitate access to finance and post-harvest management / storage solutions for the FPOs.
• Leverage technology enabled solutions to empower and connect farmers to agri markets
Additionally, in order to have significant impact on the farmers’ revenue, the program aims to work with high value-crops that are scalable and thus has identified three crops – Coffee, Cashew and Cocoa – for the state of Andhra Pradesh.
B) ROLE DESCRIPTION:
• Title: Fellow
• Duration: Four - Six months
• Starting: October, 2020
• Location: Remote Work Model
The consultant will work with the core program and management teams of TechnoServe India on developing an Industry Strategic Plan for high-value crops viz. Coffee, Cashew and Cocoa which will guide TechnoServe India team to develop an intervention roadmap in these three verticals. Specific tasks include:
• Leading the Value Chain Assessment (demand and supply overview, structure & economics) for three selected crops in India
• Leading the ongoing development of an Industry Strategic Plan and Vertical Development Roadmap for TechnoServe India
• Researching funding and partnership opportunities and developing high-quality concept notes and proposals
• Managing relationships with clients and other key stakeholders both nationally and internationally
C) TYPICAL REQUIREMENT:
• Minimum of three years’ experience in a strategy/management consulting role. Sectoral experience in agribusiness and value chains will be added advantage.
• Should possess excellent analytical skills with a demonstrated ability to undertake field research
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse team and deliver results in a time bound project
• Possess good understanding of the Indian economic development space
• Flexible to travel extensively during the execution of the project
D) ABOUT TECHNOSERVE:
TechnoServe is an international non-profit that promotes business solutions to poverty in the developing world by linking people in underserved communities to information, capital and markets. Launched in 1968 by Ed Bullard, we are based in Washington, D.C. and are currently operational in 29 countries across the world.
We work with enterprising men and women in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries, and have helped millions to create lasting prosperity for their families and communities with 50 years of proven results. In 2018, TechnoServe’s work impacted the lives of 457,000 direct beneficiaries globally by targeting improvements in farms, businesses and industries. (Learn more in our Impact Report.)
TechnoServe India partners with international development organizations, corporations and grant-making foundations to execute large-scale, multi-year programs with staff deployed at the frontlines. Present in India since 2007, we:
• STRENGTHEN AGRI VALUE CHAINS: We enable smallholder farmers to grow high-value products, engage with private-sector, and sell to profitable markets.
• FOSTER SKILLS DEVELOPMENT: We provide business training and skills development to people in poor communities in order to improve livelihood opportunities for them.
• PROMOTE SUSTAINABLE LOCAL ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: We increase incomes in target communities and in turn further catalyze economic and social development.
• SUPPORT GENDER-INCLUSIVE COMMUNITIES: We integrate custom support for women into our programs to expand their capacity and opportunity for sustainable livelihoods.
Some of our programs include:
1. The Sustainable Guar Initiative in partnership with Solvay, L’Oreal, HiChem and Henkel, which works to enhance the livelihood opportunities of guar farmers by creating a competitive guar market by linking farmers to institutional buyers. 2. WARDA (Women Advancement in Rural Development and Agriculture) program funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which develops market led approaches to empower smallholder women farmers through Farmer Producer Companies. 3. Project Saathi in partnership with Cargill, which works to catalyze local economic development in the Davangere district of Karnataka. 4. Nirmal Dhara Dairy Demonstration, in partnership with Abbott. The shared- value program engaged 1500+ smallholder dairy farmers via interventions in the supply chain to enhance the quantity and quality of milk, and increased their revenues by 110% 5. Youth Employability Program works to make youth from urban slums job-ready and offers them access to lucrative employment opportunities, and has reached 7000+ students in urban India till date of which 77% beneficiaries are women.
More information on our active and past projects can be accessed here. Read our success stories here.