Aflatoun International’s portfolio of donor-funded educational projects across the world is expanding and we are looking for a qualified candidate to take on a newly created role of Project Manager. These projects are developed with Aflatoun’s core pillars-Social and Financial Education for children and young people. The projects aim to ensure that children and young people are provided with a quality 21st century skills that can help them succeed in life. The Project Manager is a key position for these projects with overall responsibility for managing, monitoring and coordinating the delivery of activities across implementing partners, and ensuring effective engagement with other key stakeholders. The successful candidate will demonstrate her/his capacity to be a key decision-maker, an adept project manager, lead a diverse team of direct reports, and liaise with multiple implementing partner organizations to ensure operational and programmatic efficiency and success.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide overall management for the projects, informing strategic direction and decision-making and overseeing administrative, financial and project management aspects to ensure successful and timely implementation of planned activities and appropriate expenditure of funds;
- Serve as the coordinator between implementing partner organizations, external and internal technical advisors, and key program stakeholders;
- Serve as the project liaison for the donor’s contracting and technical support staff;
- Coordinate all annual work planning, project reviews/evaluation activities and project implementation activities with relevant team members and stakeholders. Ensure the timely submission of all deliverables to the donor, including annual work plans and project monitoring and evaluation plans;
- Together with other key Aflatoun staff at the secretariat and in the focus countries, foster and manage productive relationships with partner organizations, state level authorities, and relevant line ministries;
- In consultation with key project staff and Aflatoun senior management, ensure identification of advocacy issues, development of advocacy and influencing plan, and its proper implementation with government as well as with other stakeholders.
- Ensure strong communication and coordination with other Aflatoun projects, with other relevant initiatives in the project’s focus countries in order to maximize the use of resources and achieve multisector program integration as well as promoting the project’s brand and acceptance;
- Collect and share successes and lessons learned across the partners as well as externally.
- Bachelor degree in international relations, economics, social science, human rights or related field required, with 8 years of work experience; or Masters Degree in relevant fields with at least five years of experience.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience coordinating projects in relevant areas such as education; youth employability and entrepreneurship; improving quality and access to financial services; development of community participation in the improvement of livelihoods and food security.
- Demonstrated skills in strategic and project planning, and strong organizational skills.
- Proven ability in collaborating closely with multilevel stakeholders; experience in managing projects implemented in consortia will be considered an advantage.
- Previous employment with or knowledge of NGOs; experience working with NGOs in a similar position is a plus.
- Familiarity with international donors’ regulations and policies, as well as significant experience interacting with donor agencies is important.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
- Capacity to work well under pressure, and the ability to communicate appropriately and effectively cross culturally is critical.
- Fluent written and spoken English (required). Knowledge of additional languages such Spanish, French, Russian or Arabic would be an advantage.
- Understanding and willingness to conduct work and demonstrate behaviors in line with Aflatoun International’s values and policies.
What we offer
- A diverse role in an international environment, with great opportunities to learn, develop.
- A gross monthly starting salary of €2700-€3600(based on a 40 hour week) depending on relevant experience.
- 23 days annual holiday leave, and relevant public holidays.
- A position for 1 year with the possibility of extension.
- If you are interested in this position and consider you meet the requirements, please send in your CV and motivation letter by email to Chitra Mookerjee, HR Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org 18 June, 2018.
- For more information about Aflatoun International, please visit our website: aflatoun.org.
About the Organization
Aflatoun International is a non-governmental organization focusing on educating children about their rights and responsibilities and managing natural and financial resources through social and financial education. Children and young people are empowered to make a positive change in their lives and in their communities, with the aim of ultimately leading them to breaking the cycle of poverty in which many find themselves. Headquartered in Amsterdam, Netherlands, The Aflatoun programme is currently implemented in 109 countries and reaches 4.5 million children. 55% of these young people are now saving and more than 40% are involved in a social or financial enterprise.
Through Aflatoun programmes children are inspired to discover their talents and put them to use, to stand up for their rights and those of their communities, to play games and to solve problems. They learn how to save, how to budget and how to set up social and financial enterprises that benefit themselves, their families and their neighborhoods. Aflatoun employs the social franchise model whereby partners have ownership of the programme. The secretariat develops curricula in collaboration with its partners and provides them with technical assistance, network support, advocacy and training materials to implement the Aflatoun methodology. Aflatoun has been ranked at the 29th place in the NGO world TOP500 by Global Geneva, a non-profit platform. Aflatoun has a multidisciplinary team of professionals.