Role & Responsibilities
Support many activities related to the programme, base and support. On a day-to-day basis the Programme Support Manager (PSM) carries out a variety of functions related to the programme and support needs carried out in line with Medair policies and procedures and according to any applicable donor, GSO or field guidelines. The Project Support Manager is key to the efficient and effective running of the Renk Programme. This role is responsible for the organization and management of HR/Administrative, logistics and financial processes required ensuring the Renk programme functions effectively and with integrity.
Multi-sector relief programme including: provision of Primary Health Care, Nutrition, Health and Hygiene Promotion and Water and Sanitation across Renk County in South Sudan. The goal is to contribute to reducing morbidity and mortality in vulnerable communities in South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Renk, South Sudan. Working and living conditions may be very basic and require great resilience. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12-24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Project Support Management
- Ensure the smooth running of the base including line managing the cooks, guards and cleaners.
- Supervise all financial activities to ensure all cash management needs, reporting, salary payments, etc. are timely and that internal and external audit requirements are met.
- Manage HR at a local level. Support line managers in recruitment, inductions, training, appraisals, etc.
- Line manage the Finance Support Officer and Logistics Assistant to promote their growth.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to.
- Ensure accurate and efficient procedures are maintained in logistics, particularly in the areas of procurement, warehousing/inventories, fleet management and transportation.
- Coordinate and book charter flights for transport of personnel and cargo between Juba and Renk.
- Plan and coordinate weekly movements of vehicles to facilitate transport of staff and cargo.
- Manage the effective running of the fleet (maintenance, mileage and fuel logs).
- Prepare and develop budgets for support and shared costs. Manage and track expenditure of the Renk base budget by ensuring spending is in accordance with time frames and adjust spending if required.
- Oversee and guide construction and maintenance projects for base and project facilities development.
- Equipment management: keep track of equipment by maintaining the Equipment Inventory List.
- Provide support in managing security incidents as required, including the writing of incident reports.
- Draw up, manage and periodically review contracts between Medair and external suppliers, ensuring they remain valid and relevant and that the terms and conditions are followed.
- Submit accurate and timely internal reports. Contribute on request to external reports.
- Ensure a clear and transparent paper trail is in place for all Renk related transactions.
- Maintain responsibility for the approval and prompt payment of all base related bills / invoices.
- Manage and oversee the assigned staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisal, etc.
- Hold regular team meetings with line managed staff; reviewing team and individual objectives and ensuring team members are kept informed of issues relevant to their work.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Ensure clear communication lines and good functional relationships between the programmes staff and the support staff.
- Develop and implement systems to improve transparency and to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud. Carry-out regular inspections and spot-checks, both on systems and on-going work.
- Develop procedures for improving the management and stewardship of resources.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject or equivalent professional / technical qualification.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferably a in a finance and logistics position and/or programme support/assistance.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Computer literate with very good working knowledge of Microsoft tools.
- Excellent project management skills. Good budget design and management skills. Good negotiation skills. Problem solving ability.
- Good understanding of cash management and financial planning/ logistics systems & procurement.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.