The Senior Communications and Engagement Lead serves as a staff member in the International Programs (IP) department, providing communications the USAID-funded Research to Action Center (RTAC) project. The position is full-time, based in Washington, DC at the RTAC Project Office.
The incumbent will be a member of the project management team, on the RTAC project. The SCEL has primary responsibility for leading the RTAC project’s communications strategy and all communications (including social media communications) across all project tasks, including buy-ins. This includes communicating project accomplishments and outputs, as well as structuring, ensuring the quality of, and disseminating project outputs including products derived from primary research, events, and general project knowledge. S/he will ensure strategic coordination among various communications and disseminations efforts and consistency in messaging. S/he will advise on all forms of outreach (internal and external), communications, and promotion of opportunities.
This position supports communication related to project convenings and events, advising on event outreach and related promotional outputs, such as invitations and promotional materials. The incumbent advises on the creation of documents, presentations, training materials, and other external-facing outputs as necessary to promote effective translation of research findings into formats that will inform USAID policy and practice. S/he creates website content based on trainings and events and general project outputs.
The SCEL also advises on communications and learning products as requested by USAID and NORC, such as website content, briefs, and other products. She/he consults on communications products, effective communications, and other tasks arising from buy-ins, working with NORC technical and copy editors and designers on an as-needed basis.
The SCEL works closely with RTAC’s website contractor, Forum One, on all design and content elements for the RTAC website, ensuring that outputs and accomplishment of RTAC tasks and relevant information about the RTAC Research Network are regularly featured on the website. S/he will work closely with Forum One to ensure the website accurately reflects the work undertaken by RTAC.
- Responsible for overall design and implementation of communications and communications strategy for the project: developing and implementing a strategy that includes website enhancement, social media, and other modes of communication to amplify project results.
- Lead strategy and content development for the RTAC website in partnership with relevant project partners.
- Draft the quarterly email updates and manage the dissemination and tracking of website communications, such as periodic communication regarding major updates in website features and content.
- Advise on periodic website enhancements produced by the website developer.
- Produce routine project communications materials, such as press releases, website content, and marketing pieces.
- Develop and updates project templates and branding and marking plan.
- Advise on communications-related needs and products, as needed, for project buy-ins at the proposal stage. At the implementation stage, collaborates with RTAC’s Research Director and others (USAID, researchers, NORC staff) to conceptualize communication products and oversee their development, ensuring that they are of high quality.
- Advise on output quality in relation to NORC’s editing and design subcontractors.
- Collaborate with RTAC’s Project Director to identify ways to promote and communicate the RTAC project and its outputs for increased impact and visibility.
- Provides editorial and design inputs for major RTAC outputs, across Tasks as needed.
- Undertake other routine communications duties, as needed, under the direction of the RTAC Project Director.
- Provides strategic input into project websites/webpages, as requested.
- Contribute to writing and reviewing select publications, web content, and tools for global and country-level audiences including interpreting research findings and explaining policy implications.
- Represent PRB at professional conferences and meetings.
- Participate in developing innovative ways to communicate information to a range of audiences using new technologies and interactive tools such as animated infographics, interactive maps, or other data visualization software.
- Assist with monitoring and documenting dissemination and information use outcomes and impacts to feed into the project’s performance monitoring plan.
- Reports to PRB Associate Vice President, International Programs
- Daily supervision by RTAC project director
- Prepares requests for consultants’ services and monitors delivery
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in international affairs, public administration, public policy, communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of demonstrated experience in supporting and creating a wide array of public media including, but not limited to: press releases, web materials, marketing videos, print media, graphic design and social media required.
- Demonstrated cross-cultural competencies such as successful on-going interactions with global audiences, including donors, researchers and policy actors from a variety of countries
- Experience with synthesizing, packaging, and disseminating data and research findings for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with the design and implementation of results-oriented communication strategies.
- Demonstrated experience managing and/or facilitating events, small convenings, and forums of experts preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively independently and in teams with professionals at different levels (such as in-country partners, international technical organizations, and donors).
- Outstanding English writing skills and oral communication skills are essential.
- Ability to work with people from different countries and understand cultural diversities.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Availability to travel up to 25 percent time.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. PRB has an excellent benefits package, including generous health, leave, and retirement programs.
- Please upload your resume and cover letter in the “resume” section. Only finalists will be contacted. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Population Reference Bureau is an equal opportunity employer
About the Organization
The Population Reference Bureau informs people around the world about population, health, and the environment, and empowers them to use that information to advance the well-being of current and future generations. Inform. PRB analyzes complex demographic data and research to provide the most objective, accurate, and up-to-date population information in a format that is easily understood by advocates, journalists, and decision makers alike. Empower. Our commitment to putting information into action sets us apart. PRB builds coalitions and conducts workshops around the world to give our key audiences the tools they need to understand and communicate effectively about population issues. Advance. PRB works to ensure that policymakers in developing countries and in the United States rely on sound evidence, rather than anecdotal or outdated information, when creating population, health, and environmental policies.