Job Title: Senior Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist
Department/Location: Nigeria MEL
Reports To: HO Project Director
Type: Regular Full-Time
Classification: This is a managerial, exempt-level position and is not eligible for overtime pay
Overview: IBTCI is currently seeking Senior M&E Specialist for an upcoming USAID/Nigeria Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Support Project. This will be a full-time, key position based in Abuja, Nigeria. This Project will provide a range of technical assistance to USAID/Nigeria’s portfolio of programs. The Senior M&E Specialist will lead Nigeria MEL’s third party monitoring program, data quality assessments, technical assistance to implementing partners (IPs), and evaluations. The Senior M&E Specialist will also work closely with the USAID/Nigeria Program Office to ensure the Mission has valid and reliable data to inform decision making and fulfill all M&E and reporting requirements per ADS 201.
This position is contingent upon award.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Design tools and protocols to verify inputs, outputs, and outcomes and assess the quality of data reported by IPs.
- Design and conduct data quality assessments of selected performance indicators.
- Design, plan, and manage evaluations, including participating on evaluation teams.
- Design programs and conduct activities to build Mission and implementing partner capacity in M&E.
- Partner with the Mission in developing, reviewing, and updating its Performance Management Plan (PMP), including establishing, reviewing, and updating performance metrics and targets, context indicators, and the Mission’s evaluation plan.
- Develop primary or secondary data collection tools and protocols for all PMP data.
- Collect and analyze performance data for Mission reporting, decision-making, and resource allocation, including for annual portfolio reviews and Performance Plans and Reports (PPRs).
- Oversee Nigeria MEL’s performance reporting system for the Mission.
- Partner with the Senior M&E Specialist II to design programs and conduct activities to build Mission and implementing partner capacity in M&E.
- Serve on evaluation teams as appropriate.
- Supervise expat and/or local staff and/or consultants per the terms of the project organizational chart and/or as delegated by the Chief of Party.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible professional experience in monitoring and evaluation in complex international development contexts in the areas of Health, Democracy, Governance and Conflict, Economic Growth, Education and/or agricultural development.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in interpreting monitoring and evaluation analysis and subsequently developing and leading collaboration, learning and adapting programs among various stakeholders in international development contexts.
- Demonstrated experience developing M&E frameworks.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing data management systems.
- Excellent team work, inter-personal, verbal and written communication, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to conduct field work in areas with hardship conditions, in remote areas, for extended periods of time.
- Oral and written fluency in English required.
Education: Master’s Degree or higher in one or more fields related to organizational learning or development assistance such as public, business or development administration, knowledge management, political science, economics, development studies or closely related, inter-disciplinary fields.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Previous professional experience in Nigeria.
- Previous work experience on USAID funded initiatives.
- Experience supporting the development of Mission PMPs for USAID.
- Strict attention to detail.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Travel: International travel may be required and may include travel to fragile and/or conflict-prone zones.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.
About the Organization
International Business Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies, and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.