Norwegian Peoples Aid is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor Conventional Weapons Destruction & EOD for humanitarian clearance operations in Afghanistan
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end, however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmaments vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you have a strong technical background, experience from mine action and want to join our professional and committed global team?
Afghanistan has endured conflict since 1979 and remains severely impacted by landmines, unexploded ordnance, and other loosely secured or illicit conventional weapons and munitions.The widespread indiscriminate use of mines, ordnance, and munitions over some 30 years of conflict has turned Afghanistan into the most heavily mined country in the world. Insurgent elements continue to use landmines and Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) as improvised devices to both target civilians and shape the battlefield movements.
The principle goal of the NPA Afghanistan programme is to monitor, mentor and develop the USDOS-funded Conventional Weapons Destruction (CWD) program in Afghanistan in close cooperation with PM/WRA and the U.S. Embassy, Kabul.The project is implemented by 7 international and 11 national staff. NPA has its own monitoring and evaluation system that is adapted to ensure that PM/WRA requirements and expectations in terms of reporting and outputs are met.
The Senior Technical Advisor (STA) will form part of the overall management team for NPA HD in Afghanistan and be involved in matters related to the operations of the programme. The STA will work with the Country Director and other operational staff to further develop NPA HD Quality Management and monitoring systems in Afghanistan in line with NPA policies and strategic framework, as well as assist the Country Director with planning and development of current operations and staff capacity. The position is stationed in Kabul, and extensive travel in Afghanistan (security permits) is required.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Monitor the implementation of CWD/EOD operations of all operators funded by the US State Departments WRA Programme
- Conduct site visits to ongoing CWD/EOD Operations when the security situation allows
- Ensure that SOPs are followed and safe working practices by all members of staff within the NPA programme
- Closely liaise, assist and support the NPA Country Director, other Senior Technical Advisors and national staff
- Closely liaise with operational management of WRA grantees in Afghanistan and coordinate monitoring activities with the National Mine Action Centre
- Provide technical advice and implement capacity development activities for the national authorities of Afghanistan and national staff of NPA
- Regularly liaise with local communities in a professional and culturally sensitive manner to ensure good relations with the local population.
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Working experience from Afghanistan
- Experience from managing and/or monitoring Mine Action operations
- Experience from humanitarian mine action/UXO programme, Conventional Weapons Destruction and Stockpile Management
- Experience from project planning, implementation, monitoring, follow up and reporting
- Working knowledge of man-portable air defence systems (MANPAD)
- Training and certified qualifications in EOD level 3+
We are looking for a person that is physically fit with the experience and abililty to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequesite for being succesful. Written and verbal proficiency in English is a requirement.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Qualification and experience in IED Disposal and/or Counter-IED
- Knowledge of one or more of the languages of Afghanistan (Dari or Pashto)
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. The programme has a R&R rotation system and in addition NPA offers five weeks annual holiday* plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year**. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPAs internal regulations
Please note: Selection and interviews will take place continuously. The position could be filled before the closing date 5th of October.
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Nima Nemati Saeid
+47 943 32 553