IBI is currently looking for a Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Development Specialist for an upcoming 5-year project in Ghana. The expected scope of work for this activity includes working with the private sector and the Government of Ghana (GOG) on improving value chains to expand market access for Ghanaian farmers and food processors, trade facilitation, and SME development. The SME development component includes developing innovative ways to help SMEs – especially those in the agriculture sector – to expand their business through improved access to finance and other business development services. The SME Development Specialist will be responsible for all aspects of the SME development component.
Employment Location: Accra, Ghana
- Plan, organize and supervise project activities related to improving the operating climate for SMEs in Ghana, particularly those working in the agriculture sector.
- Work with the government to improve incentives and mitigate risks associated with private sector investment in SMEs.
- Improve linkages between farmers, buyers, and other market system entities.
- Improve the availability and quality of business development services.
- Coordinate technical support and engagements with Ghanaian government officials, business leaders, chambers of commerce, and the trade industry.
- Develop indicators for the SME development component and support data gathering and analysis to track and report on progress towards objectives.
- Amend project objectives to reflect changing priorities.
- Supervise other long-term and short-term staff contributing to this component.
- Must have a university degree in business, marketing, economics or other related field (advanced degree preferred).
- Fluency in English required.
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience in supporting SME development.
- Knowledge of the local context as it relates to challenges facing SMEs in Ghana is strongly preferred.
IBI is an equal opportunity employer.
About the Organization
IBI is an international economic development consulting firm whose primary client is the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). Our core belief, that the best way to improve peoples’ lives is through economic growth, is reflected in our corporate philosophy of “Global Insights – Local Solutions” – a commitment to providing top-notch technical expertise adapted to each specific context. Now celebrating over 23 years of operations, IBI is headquartered in the Ballston neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia.