Join an Innovative Social Enterprise serving the International Aid & Development Community
Interested in joining for the world’s leading media social enterprise specializing in international development? Do you want your work to help bring positive change around the world?
Devex is looking for a bright, professional and organized software engineer to join our Barcelona-based team.
Our codebase is nearly pure Ruby with the obligatory mix of different front-end technologies, running on an Amazon Web Services infrastructure. If you are an experienced Rubyist, that’s great. If not, that’s also fine - we believe that good programmers are able to pick up and learn new tools easily, actually they tend to love that!
To get an idea of what your scope of duties might look like, consider this exemplary list of topics we are working on here at Devex:
- Implementation of views to present entities like organizations, news articles, job postings, consultant profiles or projects with the help of modern web technologies
- Powerful recruiter tools to manage open jobs and find perfect candidates
- An Event-driven system to import, process and analyze data from public sources in a scalable way
- Advanced search and filtering features to sieve through content-rich datasets in Elasticseach and PostgreSQL
- Solutions to monitor crucial parts of our system and measure its inner workings
- Integrating 3rd-party services like AWS, Google Apps, Salesforce, Marketo, Google Analytics, Tito, Zuora, Twitter, Disqus, JIRA, Jenkins, GitHub, or Slack in all imaginable kinds of ways
If this opportunity sounds inspiring and challenging to you, we hope that you are someone who
- is a passionate developer with working experience in building web applications that serve users and scale as well
- likes to stay on the cutting edge of software development
- is into agile methodologies and enjoys working in teams with a focus on sharing knowledge
- has a good sense of humor, solid English skills, and is eager to work in a multicultural environment of experts like yourself
- has a EU work authorization
- brings additional skills or experiences to the table
Still with us? Then you should also know that Devex offers competitive salaries and benefits as well as creative spaces, snack-filled fridges and all the coffee and refreshments you can drink.
If you’d like to join this progressive group of technologists looking to change the game for global development, we are waiting for your application.
- 1+ year of web development in a professional environment (ideally Ruby on Rails or similar web frameworks like Django or Symfony)
- EU work authorization
- Experience with Ruby and the Ruby on Rails framework
- Proficiency with any kind of version control system like GIT, Mercurial or Subversion
- Experience with mobile development (native or web-based)
- Experience in machine learning or data analytics
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people.
An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona, and Manila, and reporters around the world. Our diverse global team includes 100 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world. Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.